Regular petrol

ir_nazri_bpms

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi....
I always use regular Petrol bcoz its cheaper 0.36brunei dollar (USD 0.26) perliter....compare to premium BND0.52 (USD0.38)..this is becoz everyday i riding 150km for working across Malaysia-Brunei....i felt power decrease a bit....any side effect to my engine for long term use..?

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not unless it's pinging I wouldn't think..... don't think the compression on the FZ6 is high enough to be an issue imo. I run 91 octane.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
(USD 0.26) perliter ?????????????? :jawdrop:
we have USD 1.88 per liter!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not again!

Anyways, our owners manual specifically states to use REGULAR or 87 Octane. Like others have mentioned, unless the engine starts pinging I would stay with regular. Our compression ratio is much different than other bikes, which require different fuel or does not require the higher octane.

FWIW....I have 45,000 miles on my FZ6. At a consertive estimate of 42 miles per gallon, I have consumed 1100 gallons of fuel or 4160 liters. With a .20 cent difference between Regular & Premium, I have saved over $220.

That's $220 that I would have just pissed away! That's like giving $220 to the station owner as a tip or grutuity. That's getting $220 worth of free Mods for your bike, and the savings is continuous as long as I keep pumping Regular.

So for those who use premium, you're just pissing your money away.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes putting a higher octane fuel 'with additives' can be detrimental. For example the Shell Optimax 98 in Oz can foul plugs in certain circumstances.

SLracer

Reaction score
Visit site
And how long is that $220 saved over? With that many miles I would guess 4 years or so which is what 55 bucks a year? Pick up a nickle and a dime off the ground each day and you have saved yourself about the same. I have found I get better mileage off premium (52mpg) and it can do nothing but good for the engine including better performance. I don't go to stations with additives either btw

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi....
I always use regular Petrol bcoz its cheaper 0.36brunei dollar (USD 0.26) perliter....compare to premium BND0.52 (USD0.38)..this is becoz everyday i riding 150km for working across Malaysia-Brunei....i felt power decrease a bit....any side effect to my engine for long term use..?

Ohh man :( Ive just worked out that in Aussie Dollars thats 45c/ltr for premium :eek:...... $10 would fill my bike :shakehead:..... Thats it , im taking my bat & ball & going to sulk in the corner

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And how long is that $220 saved over? With that many miles I would guess 4 years or so which is what 55 bucks a year? Pick up a nickle and a dime off the ground each day and you have saved yourself about the same. I have found I get better mileage off premium (52mpg) and it can do nothing but good for the engine including better performance. I don't go to stations with additives either btw

Closer to 3 than 4 years.

I primarily ride in heavy traffic, with plenty of stop n go's for red lights.
Your 52mpg is fantastic, but I've been to Corpus Christi, and most of the roads are pretty much open which probably helps out your MPG.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi....

look at that petrol price!!!! :spank:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably depends on fuel quality.
Here in Aus, apart from being expensive our fuel is also total crap.
Definately a big difference between normal (which is now E10) and premium. Some places still have 95, but 98 seems the best by far. I do still get a bad batch every now and then however.
Avoid ethanol at all costs!