Red Key ?

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep,in the UK it's vital to have the red one.

Even on E blag, a second hand ecu will set you back £500+ if you ever lose the black one.

Get the old man to pay the dealer a visit fella,as It will come under the 'Fit for purpose' laws ;)

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
A dealer guy told me today that, if i drop the bike and the lean angle sensor cuts the electric circuit, the bike won't start again without the red key.

i don't have a red key. And that means, if i drop it, it will never start again.
I never dropped my bike till now. But i know that, someday i will.

So do you have any experience of dropping the bike? Is the red key necessery?

(This post is for immobilised bikes)

Last edited:

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
The service manual states to turn the main switch off and on. It doesn't appear to mention the red key for resetting the lean angle sensor.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a red key that has been in my safe since I collected the bike from the dealer on 2 April 2004. The bike has been on its side once and started again with the black key, no problem.

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
A dealer guy told me today that, if i drop the bike and the lean angle sensor cuts the electric circuit, the bike won't start again without the red key.

i don't have a red key. And that means, if i drop it, it will never start again.

Came off my bike last year when I hit some black ice, all the electrics went off and the ignition would not switch back on. Left the bike for around ten minutes then gave it another go, after about two or three turns ignition back on.

When I told the dealer about this he told me that there is a automatic cut-out on the bike which shuts everything down and resets the ECU again. Did not need to use the red key to start the bike back up, come to think about it I forgot that I have ever had a red key. Hope this helps.

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site
Hope they track it down, I didnt even think when bought my 04 FZ6, as too excited about getting it, and few days after bought it, looked through the folder got with it from the dealer, and spotted the red key, which I will always remember to check when buying in future.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to go against the grain here.. I've just bought a bike from J&S in doncaster which came with one black key only.

I said i wanted it cloned, and they phoned their lock smith and he's managed to clone the key WITHOUT the red one.

so now I have 2 keys, I just hope i never have any trouble with my immobliser :spank:

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Did J&S tell you what it cost them?

There probably are a number of companies now who can clone keys - it's been mentioned before - but quite possibly not in all countries and not cheaply.

Last edited:

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Said they charged them £55 but that's trade.

I'd expect around £75 to be a 'fair' price if you found someone who could do it.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
They said they were charged £55 which sounds about right trade.

I phoned another locksmith regarding it prior to that as I really wanted the bike and he quoted £75.

Hope that is of some help.

dimiller

Reaction score
Visit site
Just so y'all know ... I have an '06 FJR1300 with a similar immobilizer system. Getting a copy key made is actually fairly easy. What you need to find is a locksmith who can "clone" the key to a blank transponder key.

I don't know if the blank "black" keys available from Yamaha can be cloned onto. From what I've seen, the answer to that is "no" ...

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Motomatrix.co.uk will do anything with ECU's and keys

My Ecu died due to corrosion on the pins and they got a second hand one and made it 'virgin' again (neat trick that) and I just replaced it and put the red key in the lock and it coded itself to the key and averything worked fine.

They will also create new red keys and code locks o keys you have- if you have a problem they are the go to man!

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi fazil,

This is not correct, I bought my bike crashed, it didn't even have the back fairing nor the lean sensor, it was lost in damage. I got 2 keys, no red one, after fitting in lean sensor from another bike it started no problems.

My only concern is that the immobilizer might "lose memory" of my keys and I'd need the red key to remind it of them. It's known to happen for no reason in crappy car alarms - the alarm loses the key and you have to reprogram it again.

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
If you check Ebay UK and type in FZ6 ECU a company in the UK comes up and can replace your fried ECU with a virgin one which you can code you YOUR red key or they can offer a new red key coded to your ECU
Worth every penny

Afgarrystan

Reaction score
Visit site
Any good auto locksmith will duplicate a black key and code the transponder in the new key to the old one. What many can also do is plug into the ECU and do it from there (if you have lost all keys). There are mobile locksmiths that will come to you and sort it out and provide the keys there and then, of course, there will be a price to be paid but less hassle and quicker than removing stuff and sending it away, not 100% sure but they may even produce a Red key for you.