Red Key ?

STOKIEDAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello im a newbie so sorry in advance if this is a silly question.

My dad just bougt a 04 FZ6S which I seem to be getting more use out of than him :thumbup: in the manual it says there should be a red key? is this in case a new key has to be cut and the red key is needed for a code of some sort?

Could someone shed some light on this subject for me as we only have 1 key for the bike which doesnt have any numbers on and we dont have a "red key". Could this be a problem as we want to have another key cut?

Thankyou :)

nikkifezz

Reaction score
Visit site
just take your key to any key shop and they should be about to make copies. the red key thing you are talking about is ONLY for DUCATI. i know because i had a couple of ducks in the past.

where does is say red key in the manual?

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
The fz6 comes with immobiliser fitted ( except for the US version). I n order to make copies that work you will need the red key. If you've lost it...tie your last copy around your neck :) don't loose that too. There is no way around this if you lose all keys, apart from fitting a new immobiliser system And that's going to cost you a kidney or 2

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
I've got the same thing.
My FZ came with one black key and no red keys.
I had no idea it needed a red key when I bought it.
Now I keep the key locked in a safe under my bed :eek:

I heard from somebody that there's a mob somewhere overseas (read: not in Australia) that will code a Yamaha blank to your ECU if you send them the antenna or something from your bike.

Has anybody heard of this?! Because I would LOVE to find the site and get it done so I can have a spare key.

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
I have a red key and 2 normal black keys and was told to keep the red one safe as that is needed by Yamaha mechanics for doing data work on the bike or something

STOKIEDAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Just rang my local Yamah dealers to get some more info on this. They say the red key is vital. As the only option if the black key I have is lost/damaged/stolen is to order a new kit which comes with immobiliser, ecu and rek key at a cost of approx £1500 to get it sorted. Im also thinking that it would be virtually impossible to sell the bike on as the dealer I spoke to said they've been caught out before and would not touch another bike part exchange that didnt have a rek key.

My dad only just had the bike and it looks like it might have to go back to the dealer who sold it to us unless he can track down a red key from previous owners. I'll be gutted if this is the case.

Fingers crossed it get sorted.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Do they come with red key in Canada? I bought mine used and only got two keys. But one of the keys has little metal plaque on the ring with code on it. I was told that's the code dealer would use to replace lost key.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
No all bikes come with the metal tag on the keys. If the bike has an immobiliser it should have a red key. Check your manual. If you don't have it, ask at a local dealer if the specific bike (VIN number) has immobiliser. They should normally be able to tell...I guess.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
No all bikes come with the metal tag on the keys. If the bike has an immobiliser it should have a red key. Check your manual. If you don't have it, ask at a local dealer if the specific bike (VIN number) has immobiliser. They should normally be able to tell...I guess.

Good idea - I will check with the dealer.
Thanks!

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
just take your key to any key shop and they should be about to make copies. the red key thing you are talking about is ONLY for DUCATI. i know because i had a couple of ducks in the past.

Completely wrong in this case dude.. ;)

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry. It can be cloned.
I had the same problem.

When i bought the bike, it had only one black key, spare black key and the red key was lost.

I paid $100 for one black key. But it works perfect.
You can find someone to make it done.

Terri_One

Reaction score
Visit site
i have come across a website in UK who will make you a new set of red key and black keys if you send them your ECU. Try searching the web. The price is like one third of replacing the entire key-lock hardware + ECU.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to Terri_one and Fazil. I didn't know that they can copy them. Nice to know.

BTW, my CBR has an immobiliser but no red key. So I guess it's a Yamaha thing...

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nope, you're wrong. Our 08 FZ6 and 08 XJR1300 have red keys - they are master keys for reprogramming when you get a key cut - immobilisers.....

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site

He's in the UK. does not apply to US spec bikes

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
I lost my black keys some along the line while the missus was tyding up the house. Lucky enough she had not lost my red key in the process.

I just went down to the Yamaha dealer to buy a new black key, which I had cut up down the road at the shoe repair guys who cuts keys.

I then followed intructions from this website and whalla my black key is 'resurrected'.

in case you are lazy to click, here are the steps.

1. Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON". The immobilizer indicator light should come on for 1 second and then go off.
2. With the red key still in the ignition, start the engine.
3. Shut off the engine and remove the red key. The immobilizer indicator light should start to blink after 30 seconds.
4. Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON", then "OFF" and then remove the key within 5 seconds.
5. Insert the black key into the ignition and turn it to "ON" within 5 seconds.
6. While the immobilizer indicator light is flashing, turn the black key to "OFF" and then remove the key.
7. Wait for the immobilizer indicator light to stop flashing. It should stop 5 seconds after you remove the black key.
8. If everything went OK, then you can use the black key to start the engine.

Dimitrije

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought fz6n 2005 and it came with red key and metal plaque on it and two black keys as standard.i heard that red key is for data work only and it should be kept safe...