Recommended TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have a good TPMS they recommend I read some good things about these 2:

TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM FOR MOTORCYCLES

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WMB830/ref=asc_df_B004WMB8301773383?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B004WMB830]Amazon.com: Orange Electronic M202 Motorcycle TPMS Kit: Automotive[/ame]

Price difference is roughly $80 either way. Just want something that will last awhile. Was planning on getting my tires swapped out soon and was going to have them install a TPMS for me :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not just check your tires with a good gauge once a week (or a bit more frequently)?
If not for the whole Firestone/Ford thing 10 years ago or so, we probably wouldn't have TPMS at all today.
Sorry.. I know I'm not being helpful, but I hate all the innovations being implemented today to allow people to become more lazy.. pay less attention to tasks at hand.. etc.
The Mercedes commercial with the idiots saying something like "I was putting on my makeup while eating a doughnut and suddenly the car just stopped all by itself!!" .. UGH...
(rant over).

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LV,

I just click on that first link and OUCH.... $199 for that? Save that $$$ for something else worth investing in i.e. good gear (helmet, jacket, etc.), a nice swanky hotel somewhere far (a nice long bike trip...hint, hint). Or if you're due, a new set of shoes for your ride. :D:D:D
Of course if you have money to burn, well then that's a different story. :BLAA:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep a gauge in my tank bag and check my pressure at least once a week, more if I'm riding solo / then fully loaded touring on the weekend / then solo, because I up the pressure 4lbs at each end when loaded up.

I haven't seen significant movement in pressure on my FZ6's tires, even in the event of big temperature swings.

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently you people haven't heard of "luxury" ;)

Back on topic please. I don't need everyone's "personal" feeling about a TPMS. It works, end of story. Just need a recommendation from someone who actually has one. With all these modifications I am surprised so few people have a TPMS especially since it makes TCLOCS easier :)

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking at a solution for automating tire pressure monitoring for a long time, and I think there's just not a good way to do it on a bike. Either the pop-up polymer or the electronic ones will eventually fail, and on a bike that's not OK. You'll have to check just as often to make sure the things haven't failed or else it's a matter of time before they do and a matter of how long after they do and before you check that determines the condition of your tire when you find out. And you're supposed to replace the electronic monitors with every tire change on a car, not sure if it has to be that often on a bike, but that gets expensive. I just check weekly, with two gauges every time, and I got the 90 degree valve stems to make it easier to get around the brake discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Just need a recommendation from someone who actually has one. With all these modifications I am surprised so few people have a TPMS especially since it makes TCLOCS easier :)

The fact that hardly anyone has installed tpms on their bike should be a sign....

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The fact that hardly anyone has installed tpms on their bike should be a sign....

I think it's the fact that once you install it, the point is to rely on it -- potentially with your life. That's a lot of trust. So if you still have to check, why bother?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly! K.I.S.S not to mention all that extra weight making it a pita for you or whomever else to balance the tires

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking at a solution for automating tire pressure monitoring for a long time, and I think there's just not a good way to do it on a bike. Either the pop-up polymer or the electronic ones will eventually fail, and on a bike that's not OK. You'll have to check just as often to make sure the things haven't failed or else it's a matter of time before they do and a matter of how long after they do and before you check that determines the condition of your tire when you find out. And you're supposed to replace the electronic monitors with every tire change on a car, not sure if it has to be that often on a bike, but that gets expensive. I just check weekly, with two gauges every time, and I got the 90 degree valve stems to make it easier to get around the brake discs.

You actually are NOT supposed to change them every tire change, misconception. They need to be changed after about 30-50,000 miles

Also, the two I linked to are NOT cap sensors. They are installed inside the rim. Sometimes the batteries need to be replaced as well, the only thing I would be concerned about is getting a new sensor if needed since they only seem to sell them in "kits"

Also, using a device like this allows you to read your HOT psi and temp so it can help you there as well. Especially if you are riding and puncture but it's slow and you don't notice it will show the psi's slowly dropping and can help you from a blowout :)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It's fairly new technology and the in-rim TPMS sensors haven't been out very long.

Thats more or less what im getting at some "new" technology is great but the fact that you dont see everybody running to get in line to buy these i personally would take as a sign to stay away from it, right now its more or less a novelty vs a luxury

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
My instructor had a TPMS installed in her BMW that was stock from factory. I think it will be something that will be adopted here shortly. No reason not to have it IMO. And a safety instructor from one of the previous links is selling it as well.

Anyway personal opinion. Just don't become one of those old people who are scared of all new things ;)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
My truck came stock with them, my truck also came stock with a cupholder...lol

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Coming from the factory like that is one thing id be all for it, but me personally, i wouldnt add that to my bike unless it was a option from yamaha even then i still probably wouldnt. Imo some things that were invented for cars should stay on cars, especially if it has the potential to make the rider "lazy" to not properly inspect his or her machine. I just dont like the idea of relieing on technology to tell me that my bike is ok to ride. Not yet at least