recommendations and advice for shortening wiring

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I removed my fairing, leaving behind a lot of unnecessary length in the wiring up front. I've got it stowed pretty successfully in a boot made from an old inner tube, but I'm considering shortening it in conjunction with some other wiring projects (regaining hi/lo beams and running lights) If you've done this before, I'd like to hear your advice on tools, technique, wire, connectors, etc. I'm committed to doing a good job rather than a half-assed one if I am going to do it at all.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, nothing beats a factory harness and its associated connectors. I would (and did) take every opportunity not to disrupt the factory harness. I really like your inner tube idea. To the extent possible, I would loop/zip-tie the existing harness within the inner tube. I "shortened" my factory harness by stuffing it back into the frame and tip-tied/secured it around the battery box. I'm using a much smaller LiFePO4 battery than the OEM battery, which freed up a lot of space.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. I've got the tank off for painting, maybe I'll experiment with some other places to put the wiring. I've considered a lithium ion battery, I'll look into a LiFeP04 as well... this is the first I'm hearing of it.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
LiFePO4 is a lithium battery; it exactly Lithium Iron Phosphate, which is what is used in motorsports batteries. “Lithium” is generic and tells you nothing of its composition.

if you go that route, get a battery with on-board electronics which prevent over charging.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never did it, and would probably be a PIA, but how about buying some factory style wire ends, then shortening the one end and re-fitting into the plug?

Can't get much neater/shorter than that.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm leaning away from shortening now, and toward making everything as tidy as possible with minimal cutting. We'll see what I come up with.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never did it, and would probably be a PIA, but how about buying some factory style wire ends, then shortening the one end and re-fitting into the plug?

Can't get much neater/shorter than that.

^+++1 Doing it this way is definitely the more difficult approach, but this is the safest way to go. If you decide to pursue, look to www.cycleterminal.com as a great source for OEM connectors