rear sprocket removal

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was giving the bike a good cleaning today for its winter hibernation. I thought it would be a good idea to clean both sprockets. With my trusty haynes manual I removed the rear tire and unbolted the rear sprocket. I got it all shiny and new looking, the inside edge was pretty nasty, and preceding to bolt it back together. I tightened everything down going from side to side and then torqued everything a bit below the torque setting, 100Nm. Then I set the wrench to the correct setting and starting to tighten everything down, the first to went great then I stripped about 3 studs. Is my torque wrench a steaming pile of >>>>. From the forum it sounds like quite a few people remove their sprockets and I never read of this happening.
Thanks for the place to vent.

Danny

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you might want to check you wrench. not sure how exactly you'd do that. I've had my sprocket off a few times (twice to spray it black, yes i'm cheap) and once to replace it. no problems. I do have two torque wrenches though one for 20lbs and below and one for above so this may affect the accuracy

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Your torque values were correct.

Maybe a defective wrench? You can test it by clamping the square drive end in a vise so that the wrench handle is horizontal, then weighting it at the proper distance to see if it clicks at the right time. If that makes sense.

As for the stripped out holes, check out Timesert thread repair kits. I wouldn't trust those bolts with Helicoils.

As a sidenote, how much does it cost to buy a "harley retard"?

Does it cost as much as a comma?

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I checked the time sert out online, looks really neat. Fortunately for me (I hope) it is just a matter of replacing the studs in the wheel hub and I should be back in business. I'll be getting the shop to do that. The situation is just a bit annoying when a simple project, tightening down six nuts to a set torque, gets a wrench thrown in it. Sorry for the bad pun but I couldn't help myself.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I checked the time sert out online, looks really neat. Fortunately for me (I hope) it is just a matter of replacing the studs in the wheel hub and I should be back in business. I'll be getting the shop to do that. The situation is just a bit annoying when a simple project, tightening down six nuts to a set torque, gets a wrench thrown in it. Sorry for the bad pun but I couldn't help myself.

Fan-flipping-tastic. I should apologize for the derrogatory post that was made earlier. It appears that someone posted under my username from my work computer after I left this afternoon. Rest assured I would never tell someone to beat on his bike nor would I curse. I don't even curse in real life. I suppose I need to make sure I log off when leaving work from here on out.
Also, I do appreciate the question on price for a "harley retard" because it seems that something as simple as proper english so often goes to the wayside in today's society; especially on the internet.

I will remove the slander and LOG OFF my work PC asap.

Sorry if anyone was offended, but I know who did this by the "hammer down" phrase: Johnny (one of our techs) uses that phrase way too often.

Reaction score
Visit site
It would be a waste of time and effort. If he could report the unauthorized use of his work station without self incrimanting himself could also take care of the problem. A quick search of his history seems wise.....GRUMPY