Rear Shock

FZ6Hot

FZ6Hot
Reaction score
Visit site
Yet another shock thread. I am looking at replacing my stock rear shock with either a Wilbers 640 or Ohlins YA-403. Both are basic shocks with adjustable rebound. Any opinons if one is superior to the other. I am in Canada so either will have to be imported, cost is approximately the same.
The rebound setting is at the bottom of the shock so will I need to remove the shock to change the setting?

Ps. I do mainly spirited street riding and track days. The front forks have already been upgraded with Ricor Intiminator valves and heavier springs.

Last edited:

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Yet another shock thread. I am looking at replacing my stock rear shock with either a Wilbers 640 or Ohlins YA-403. Both are basic shocks with adjustable rebound. Any opinons if one is superior to the other. I am in Canada so either will have to be imported, cost is approximately the same.
The rebound setting is at the bottom of the shock so will I need to remove the shock to change the setting?

Ps. I do mainly spirited street riding and track days. The front forks have already been upgraded with Ricor Intiminator valves and heavier springs.
Could I ask you how you like the Intiminator valve, did you drill out the damper holes, and what weight oil did you use? What weight springs did you use and how much do you weigh? Whew, that was a bunch of questions! Thanks.

pascal1973

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Wilbers 640, and you don't need to remove anything to adjust the dampening, also you adjust compression and rebound at the same time. The rear feels much, i mean MUCH more stabile.I don't have any experience with the Ohlins on an FZ, but the Wilbers sure does its job flawlessly.

FZ6Hot

FZ6Hot
Reaction score
Visit site
The local suspension guru's RMR are an Ohlin's dealer so I am going with the YA-403. I will post my impressions when I get the shock installed and have a couple of interesting rides completed.