REALLY strange problem

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I'm riding along in third gear at probably 5000 rpm and notice that the bike is surging slightly. It's almost like I was twisting the throttle back and forth ever so slightly in almost perfect rhythm. Then I look down and notice I've left the blinker on after my last turn. I turn off the blinker the problem goes away. Turn it back on and it starts back in rhythm with the blinker. Seems to happen in any gear at any rpm. Has anybody ever had this problem or have any suggestions on what could be the cause?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Checking the battery and charging system would be my first call. Check the connections right at the battery. It sounds like there's insufficient injector current do to a voltage drop so that when the signal lamp is on it loads the circuits dropping current/voltage.

Let us know what you find.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Almost sounds like your ECU is picking up RF interference from your turn signal relay.

Have you modified anything with your electrical system? Lighting mods, different spark plugs, additional accessories... ect?

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Checking the battery and charging system would be my first call. Check the connections right at the battery. It sounds like there's insufficient injector current do to a voltage drop so that when the signal lamp is on it loads the circuits dropping current/voltage.

Total agreement.

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done the dual headlight mod and also attached a power cord for my gps direct to the battery, but the gps was not connected so that cord would not be drawing any power. At any rate, I did both of those mods a couple of years ago and have not noticed this problem until today.

Reaction score
Visit site

Battery checks out fine with voltmeter. What exactly do you mean by "charging system" and how do I check it? Thanks.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done the dual headlight mod and also attached a power cord for my gps direct to the battery, but the gps was not connected so that cord would not be drawing any power. At any rate, I did both of those mods a couple of years ago and have not noticed this problem until today.

Battery checks out fine with voltmeter. What exactly do you mean by "charging system" and how do I check it? Thanks.

You did a direct connection to the battery a couple of years ago.... Recheck your battery connections.

You might get the battery load tested a no load test is sort of a Go/No Go test but really doesn't tell you the health and proper performance of the battery. Just for giggles try checking that your connections to the battery are clean and if you added a connector to the battery post did you use a star washer to ensure there is a secure electrical connection? Then take it for a spin and see how it behaves.
Just saying, the first simple cheap things I can eliminate would be my first choice.
Yes it could be a number of different anomalies but try the cheap easy to rule out stuff first. That would be your battery connections. :D

remme61

remme61
Reaction score
Visit site
Then again: There's "funky ground syndrome" One electrical system stealing the ground of another. Weird, but true! But first do as recommended and load test the batt and definately check the connections. Just for kicks, You might test batt V with the vehical running and that darn turn signal engaged. If voltage steady, find the ground for the ecm and ign. Yes? Ron