Real Head Lamp Modification ,Making a H4 bulb fit into a H7 socket

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
having done the low beam mod - you now have my attention with the addition of a second high beam as well and I like the wiring solution that keeps either lows or highs but not all four at once - my only concern there is that there is a possibility that the contacts in the switch that are dedicated to controlling the right side low beam may not be designed to handle the current that controlling two bulbs. Any signs of trouble?

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Still going strong . I ride every day and have not had any problems.

Fred I keep looking at all these head lamp mods and it apears to me that the way i am wired for dual high and low is the exact way you all have it I am just adding another tag to power the modded high bulb on the left .
When you turn your high beam on does the left low beam shut off ???
If not then you have 3elements lit with the high beam on . use some cutting torch glasses and take a look . the extra element on isnt going to cause a problem with amp loss .
Greg A.

fudge_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to solve the problem of the low beam being on the same time as the high beam you can put a automotive light relay in parallel with the high beam lights. (see pics sorry for high jacking your pic) Now when you turn on the high beams it will cut the power to the low beams.

mix_max

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to solve the problem of the low beam being on the same time as the high beam you can put a automotive light relay in parallel with the high beam lights. (see pics sorry for high jacking your pic) Now when you turn on the high beams it will cut the power to the low beams.

Finally, a solution that I liked.
I've always wanted to make de Dual Headlamp Mood, but I've never did it because I don't like de Idea of having both lighs on (when I turn the High beams on).

I'm just interested in keeping the high beams on the left, and I just have two questions:

What kind of a relay do you sugest?
Can I just connect the relay to the wire going to the left bulb (and of course the wire to the high beams) ?

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Fred I keep looking at all these head lamp mods and it apears to me that the way i am wired for dual high and low is the exact way you all have it I am just adding another tag to power the modded high bulb on the left .
When you turn your high beam on does the left low beam shut off ???
If not then you have 3elements lit with the high beam on . use some cutting torch glasses and take a look .

Mine still works well too, although I've managed to not ride at night since I've done the mod.

With my version, the two low beams both shut off when I switch to High, and vice versa.

Fred

aceman1741

Reaction score
Visit site
hey cashcrzzy,
looking at your mod thread for the dual headlight and brights, will you please go thru the wiring process for me? I'm a machinist but not a bright electrician and I'm very interested in your mod and getting it done. I already have the dual light mod but I would like very much to have both lights for the high beams as well. only the wiring needs to be explained and lastly, what was determined about both filaments being on together or are they on seperately.
Thanks,
Aceman

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Here's the simplest way.

First, do Biker Dude's headlight mod to the right side headlight.

Then buy another headlight socket from an auto parts store.

Connect its wires to the right side headlight, and plug it into the left side headlight.

That'll give you two high beams and two low beams, and the low beams will both shut off when you turn on the high beams.

Fred

Last edited:

aceman1741

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the great sketch! The problem is I already have the dual mod and the H4 is already working for low and high beam. And actually, when I do turn on the high beam, the low filament turns off and only the hgh beam filament turns on. Like I said, I'm not much of an electrician but there must be an easier process to do both high beams with what I already have.Biker dudes application seems very entailed even though it's very cool and probebly the correct way of doing it. I've been reading your posts between you and cashcrzzy and also been studying them. I think cashcrzzy said something about just using one of the wires from the right side to the left side and something else.... My setup is a wire plugged into the top light plug for the low beam and then connected to the green wire with the yellow dots at the wire assembly just under the left handle bar. that setup gives me both low and high beam without both of filaments being used at the same time. Help!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Then you're all set. The diagram I posted assumes that you have done the headlight mod (which you have).

Just add wires from the right side headlight connector to another connector on the left side and plug it in.

it's really just that simple.

dingosmitty

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed your spacer was on the other side of the bulb. I think it varies depending on the bulb. For mine, that spacer made the bulb fit perfectly flush and it was still able to engage the keyway. Mine is about 1/4" thick, but the thickness isn't at all critical.

That spacer took forever to make because all I had was plate stock that I had to cut, bore and then turn round. Given tube stock of the right size, it wouldn't be too hard to make a bunch of these.

Is there any real interest in these?

I have been working on a solution for the Hi/Lo problem for a while now. I am doing it on a 2005 R6. I was originally going to go with a 4 bulb setup, but after coming across this thread decided to use a dual fillament bulb. (THANK YOU you made my project much easier) I was wondering if you (Fred) could make a set of spacers for me. If so what would be the charge? I have messaged you. Also Great work guys. Keep the ideas coming.:thumbup:

rrandall

BugMan
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep seeing all these great threads about making your low beam work on both sides ,But the fact still remain`s that 1 high beam on the right side sucks,It only lights up the right side of the road With the high beam on . I searched high and low for a bulb that would be a dual element and fit into a H7 socket Without destroying the socket . There just arent any .. anywhere . they dont make them . So I have decided to make 1.First thing I did was use a micrometer and measure the socket size of the H7 bulb ,And found that the H4 bulb was going to be a perfect fit after a little cutting and grinding .Here are some pictures In my album to show you what I did .It also shows you how I wired it And how the head lamps look at night .In the night picture the fence is 125 feet(low beam) ,Past the cat tail`s is aprox 200 feet(high beam) . In one of the pictures it shows a plastic ring on the back side of the modified bulb that ring is so that the bulb is tight in the housing when the retainer is installed .
Have fun modding :iconbeer:
Greg A.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/album.php?albumid=9

Good stuff and very useful:thumbup: How thick does the plastic spacer need to be and does the back of the bulb area it is in get hot?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The thickness can vary a lot. I think mine was about 3/16" Csshcrzy's spacer looked thinner in his pictures. I'd say that thinner is probably better, as it'll help avoid the need to trim down the rubber boot at the back of the headlight.

Since the spacer goes in behind the bulb, it doesn't affect the bulb's final position. It's just there to give the spring clip something to push against.

Fred

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Greg,

The stock switch is able to switch a low beam on and off. Biker Dude's modification takes advantage of this to make the right side low beam come on when the low beams are selected, and off when the high beams are selected.
See here for details.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-s/1663-bd43-s-07-headlight-mod-part-1-a.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-s/1666-bd43-s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html

I have done this modification and it works perfectly.

What I'm proposing to do is to extend the wiring from both the high and low beam connectors on the right headlight to the left side, and plug them into a bulb modified by your method. The result will be low beam filaments that only come on with the low beam, and high beam filaments that only come on with the high beam. So a replacement switch won't be needed.

The reason I'm going to do it this way is to save power. Having all four filaments on is going to draw twice the power of just two filaments, creating a larger load on the bike's charging system. Given the fact that I plan to add a lot more electrical widgets to this bike, I want to be miserly with my extra wattage.

Look at it this way. Four bulbs will more power than two. A 55w low beam filament and a 60w high beam filament will draw 115 watts if they are both on.

Here's a breakdown. (Assuming that the stock lefthand bulb is also 55 watts.)

Stock setup with the low beam on. 55 watts.
Stock setup with the high beam on. 115 watts.
Biker Bill's headlight mod, low beam. 110 watts.
Biker Bill's headlight mod, high beam. 115 watts.
Your mod, low beam, 110 watts.
Your mod, high beam (all four filaments on). 230 watts.
My proposed variation, low beam. 110 watts.
My proposed variation, high beam. 120 watts.

That's why I was concerned about all four filaments being on. Power draw is double what Yamaha planned for. But by combining your bulb modification with Biker Dude's wiring modification, you get a good dual bulb setup that draws only five watts more than what Yamaha designed for.

The difference between what you've got and what I'm talking about is 110 watts with the high beams, and identical current draws with the low beams. This means that 110 watts of power are available for other accessories. That's just over 9 amps, which is power that I'll want for my radar detector, GPS, heated grips and onboard espresso machine. :)

To answer your last question about riding with high beams, I gotta say that I leave them on almost all the time. The only time I use the low beam is when it's night and there's an oncoming car. The rest of the time I want as much light as I can get. I want to see and I want to be seen as much as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to piss on your parade. I think you've come up with a great modification, even better because you didn't have to make any irreversable changes to the bike. I'm just taking a good idea and trying to improve upon it.

Cheers,
Fred

I like your idea, and when I do my mod it will be like Bider Dudes but with the H4 bulbs.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep seeing all these great threads about making your low beam work on both sides ,But the fact still remain`s that 1 high beam on the right side sucks,It only lights up the right side of the road With the high beam on . I searched high and low for a bulb that would be a dual element and fit into a H7 socket Without destroying the socket . There just arent any .. anywhere . they dont make them . So I have decided to make 1.First thing I did was use a micrometer and measure the socket size of the H7 bulb ,And found that the H4 bulb was going to be a perfect fit after a little cutting and grinding .Here are some pictures In my album to show you what I did .It also shows you how I wired it And how the head lamps look at night .In the night picture the fence is 125 feet(low beam) ,Past the cat tail`s is aprox 200 feet(high beam) . In one of the pictures it shows a plastic ring on the back side of the modified bulb that ring is so that the bulb is tight in the housing when the retainer is installed .
Greg A.

I also want to thank you Cashcrzzy for the pic's and description for doing this mod. You are a craftsman.

Lewis

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
The one thing that would keep me from doing this mod is having to grind down the bulb. Couldn't you just order:
4SV-84350-00-00 SOCKET CORD ASSY 2 (#5 in picture) for $5.00, buy the h7 bulb, and then do the wiring from the right lamp to the left lamp? (assuming have done biker dude's mod)

arcata2

Reaction score
Visit site
Greg A.
Greg and Fred,
I'm not sure how old this thread is and I'm wondering if you have had any problems with the charging system. Like Fred I drive with my brights on most of the time. I live out in the country where there are many redwoods that seem to suck up the light. With that in mind I would prefer to have all 4 filaments on at once. I'm just wondering Greg if this has caused you any problems. Unlike you Fred I do not have any electrical additions in mind. Another thing I am exploring is replacing the light bucket. It appears that you could buy another light bucket with the H4 hole and flip it over and use it to replace the H7 bucket. Has anyone heard of that being done? That would eliminate the need to modify the bulb. Only problem is that the bucket is only sold by Yamaha as the entire headlight housing for $187. Ouch. Anyone know of an after market parts supplier that may manufacture and/or sell the bucket alone?
Barry

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Barry
I have had no problems at all with the way I did this mod .It has worked great since day 1 and I leave my high beams on all the time .
I do want to try a Higher wattage ,and or whiter bulb. The base bulb apears yellow to me .I have been to busy to worry about it though .The great moto if its not broke dont fix it plays well with me ..If anyone has done MY mod with a better bulb and no relays attached please let me know the results !! thanks
Greg A.