Re-mounting rear wheel, what grease to use?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I need to r and r my rear wheel and the manual calls for lithium soap grease. I usually use caliper grease ( the 3m copper colored stuff) for high temperature applications. Is that ok or can someone recommend a specific brand that meets the spec?

Thanks

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
For lubing the rear wheel bearing races and seals you want something made for high speed friction, caliper grease is not high-speed grease and might burn up your dust seals.

I usually use whatever high temp wheal bearing grease is on sale at the parts store. I currently have a tube of this:

PremiumWheelBearing707LRedGrease.png

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use molybdenum since I have a tube laying around and It's got great properties and use for CV joint lube. Just wash your hands good afterward.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plan on doing some maintenance tomorrow, would this grease be ok for lubing the rear axle shaft?

The manual says use lithium based, but I don't have any at the moment
cf3965f630e3e447d914acc980beab3c.jpg

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used waterproof marine grease and never had an issue with it. Did that tube seriously cost $82?
Yep, it has golden flakes in it for extra luxury :D

But seriously, I'm in Europe, Croatia - converted to USD it's actually 12.50 [emoji106]

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, it has golden flakes in it for extra luxury :D

But seriously, I'm in Europe, Croatia - converted to USD it's actually 12.50 [emoji106]

oh hahaaa ok.. my bad. I should have realized. I would use this lube without any worry. if tough enough for marine use it should be fine

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, my Bike is Garage kept and I bought it used with 300 miles on it a couple of years ago. It now has 9k miles and stock tires seem to have enough thread to last the end of the season.
From what I can tell, from the title, the bike was bought new in 2013, so I guess it was a left over model.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 1, it'd be fine.

That's a very old tube but for the axle is fine.

Yamaha make a water PROOF grease used on the lower unit drive shaft, prop splines, etc, that way outlasts anything else exposed to water/ salt water (and not much more $ surprisingly.)..

Might want to clean, then re-grease the rear caliper pin's as well. Use brake grease for that. They tend to hang up/ get sticky over time.