Radiator Fan Compatibility

kilgore_trout

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 08 and need a radiator fan. There are several on eBay that would fit an 06, but nothing for an 08. Yamaha part numbers are similar (2008: 4S8-12405-00-00, 2006: 5VX-12405-00-00).

Would the 2006 fan fit my 2008? A new blower costs 200-300, so I'd love to find a used one.

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The housing and bracket assemblies may be different. Maybe the motor components are swappable if it's the motor?

Also some motors incorporate what is known as a micro temp fuse that is coupled with the winding. When the winding is overheated the micro temp opens the circuit to protect the motor.

I don't know if these fan motors are serviceable but it's worth a look. I'd take a crack at it.

Anyone want to send me their non working fan motor as a guinea pig? Microtemps are replaceable. You find the right heat range microtemp and install a new one. The FZ6 fan usually fails when a pebble gets jammed between the fan and the radiator...

Anyone ever tried to service a broken FZ6 fan before?

Last edited:

kilgore_trout

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, mine failed when I got into an accident. One side of the radiator was pushed back into the motor. When it sprang back into place, the fan motor was stuck against the radiator. I freed the fan, and it spins freely, but I think it's toast.

I did some more research, and the brackets are different between an 06 and 08. It doesn't look like it would be possible to swap the components, so I might be out of luck.