R6 USD Fork Swap

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
I have this crazy plan to swap some 06-07 R6 upside down forks onto my '07 FZ6. As most everyone already knows, the stock suspension leaves something to be desired in the way of ride quality and adjustments.

I don't want to go halfway with the RS6 fork swap, so I am going to do what needs to be done to the R6 triple to make it work. If that entails spacers, new steering stem pressed into the lower triple, different bearing races, etc. I will make it happen. I know more than a few people in the machining industry, and I have a bridgeport mill in the garage.

Already have the forks, axle, calipers, fender, and master cylinder. Still need to procure the triples, rotors, and brake lines.

I will update this thread as I go, so stay tuned! :thumbup:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it's been done before, so it's not impossible...

Good luck, can't wait to see when it's finished!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
and I have a bridgeport mill in the garage.

This is me turning green with envy.

I can't wait to see the results.

If you want any 3d models of your early designs, let me know. I know my way around CAD programs well enough that I might be of some help.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
question.. what is the original problem with swaping the upside down forks as opposed to the 03-04 r6 forks??? was it that they were too small or too big to fit into the clamp (among other reasons)

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the triples on the FZ are too strong to begin with, so I would take the opportunity to have some stronger ones made.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the triples on the FZ are too strong to begin with, so I would take the opportunity to have some stronger ones made.

im sure they are strong enough.. otherwise yamaha wouldnt be able to sell them.. maybe not strong enough for motogp racing, but since the have the fz6 cup, im sure they are.. but yea, if you started to shave down the tripple to make room for r6 usd forks, yea, it might not be strong enough...

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
If you look at the triple clamps for the 06+ R6, they make the forks stick out a bit compared to the FZ6, this might change the geometry of the bike a little bit.

As far as using the FZ6 triples, they would have to be the same width, or you'd need shimming or more machining which isn't very good.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
I expect the steering to get a bit quicker as it is going to lower the front of the bike at least 10mm. I think it will be good since the bike is really stable anyway.

I want to try to do this the easiest way possible simply so more people will try it. Too bad it's not as easy as a GSXR fork swap onto a sv650. Those guys all do the mod.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I expect the steering to get a bit quicker as it is going to lower the front of the bike at least 10mm. I think it will be good since the bike is really stable anyway.

I want to try to do this the easiest way possible simply so more people will try it. Too bad it's not as easy as a GSXR fork swap onto a sv650. Those guys all do the mod.

Good luck with the project.

It would be cool to have an easy way, but, there is something to be said for the degree of difficulty, not just anybody has it, those that do are unique ;).

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
if pressing the stem in the tripple works that would be awesome .

i got the lower r6s tripple and stem with the axles i got. thats my next project. to see if it works.

keep us updated no mater how insignificant the progress may seem.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me know if that R6S triple fits the fizzer. It would be good to have spare steering stems if I have to start cutting... Plenty of them around, hard to find actual FZ6 parts used.

Arty

Reaction score
Visit site
MRGM, maybe you should drop a PM to "fz6fighterboy" as I know he is running 2006 R6 forks with custom billet yokes on his FZ6 streetfighter.

Check out his post http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/10453-my-uk-fz6-n-supercharged-nitrous-streetfighter.html

There are more pics of the bike, which show a little of the forks/clamps in this thread, http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/11138-supercharged-nitrous-streetfighter.html

The USD R6 forks look awesome, but I bet those yokes are hellishly expensive. :jawdrop:

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
The wheel is the same on both bikes.

I anticipate only needing to modify / make a new steering stem to put in the R6 triples.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The wheel is the same, but the brake rotors have different part numbers/look a little different. Not sure if it matters though.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
crazybiker beat me to the Nor_Cal_Tuna thread. Good luck with this. I've heard others say that the bearings are of a different size.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
This has been done at SBN I think 2-3 times. Requires a new set of triple tree and R6 front wheel too. Check these threads
Secret project revealed - Sportbikes.net

there's no real info there though, and the dud said he had to "cut the engine" for something that he did. funny that he doesnt go into any detail on what he actually did. i guess he doesnt want to divulge any info to take away from the uniqueness (if thats what you want to call it) of the bike