R6 Radial Brake Calipers & Radial Brake Mount adaptors for OEM FZ6 forks!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, recently i bought myself a very high quality billet aluminium top clamp for my FZ6 with Clip-on handlebars, which does away with the no longer needed handlebar risers...

The people i bought them from where incredibly easy to deal with, with extremely prompt service, and what turned out to be a very very nice piece of kit...the top clamp is a work of art IMHO.

I then found out that the same people, GaaSS! Special Parts, also do radial brake caliper mount adaptors for both the S1 & S2 FZ6 forks, with billet alumium adaptor plates that use the OEM brake caliper mounting point to mount the adaptor plates, with which to bolt a set of radial mounted brake calipers with a 108mm pinch bolt gap...but it just so happens, that a set of R6 radial brake calipers with 108mm pinch bolt spacing will bolt straight onto the adaptors, without the use of the provided spacers, and need no further adjustment, other than to bleed the brake lines...it is that simple!

It took me about half an hour to remove the existing calipers, and mount the adaptor plates, and R6 radial mounted brake calipers...

It took Mikey about another half hour to bleed the brakes for me!

Anyone can do this mod, you just need the brackets, and the brake calipers...both are not expensive to buy, and the result is a nice set of radial brake calipers with nice shiny gold discs, and from what i can work out, a much more progressive feel at the lever, than with the FZ6 OEM brake calipers...the proof will be in the riding i suppose.

The brackets weigh less than 500grams, not each, but both, in total, and are machined perfectly, with everything fitting perfectly, they look great, and they come with the mounting bolts that match the R6 brake calipers...nice!

Made in Italy...with a bit of passion i reckon...

here's some pictures.

:thumbup:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so let me get this strait.. i would need these adaptor plates and a set of r6 calipers, and i could have better braking??? or would i also need a new rotor?? good find wolf :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so let me get this strait.. i would need these adaptor plates and a set of r6 calipers, and i could have better braking??? or would i also need a new rotor?? good find wolf :thumbup:

Yes that is correct, you just use your OEM discs, the calipers will fit straight on. As for cost, the calipers cost me less than $200 on e-bay, and the adaptors cost me 210 euro's including the worlds fastest postage! Both things I have ordered from these guys have arrived in 4 days from paying for them! Not freaking bad from Italy to Australia!

Igor is the name of the guy I have dealt with, and he speaks ok English via e-mail, and is very helpful with any questions.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wonder if we could get some sort of group buy going...

Do you think that we could get enough interest, it's not as if this thread has created much interest at this point!?

This would be a great mod for those with the S1 fz6, as this mod would give you the ability to go from the 2 pot caliper to a 4 pot caliper, without changing out the forks.

I am sure that a group buy would be easy to organise...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice setup! If only I could convince the wife... :D I already played the 'it's a safety upgrade' for the CF Leo Vince pipes... now I have to figure out how to get her online for this one!

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice setup! If only I could convince the wife... :D I already played the 'it's a safety upgrade' for the CF Leo Vince pipes... now I have to figure out how to get her online for this one!

I am not far off from taking the bike for a quick night ride, to see how the brakes are, and if they are better....if the lever feel is anything to go by, i reckon i might be on a winner!

Will report my "finding's" of course.

:D

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
wondering if there's any compromise using this bracket instead of a 'proper' fork with radial calipers?

nonetheless, still looks very good! i would be interested in the MO if the performance would be the same as the a 'proper' fork with the radial calipers. :)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i took the bike for a decent ride last night...about 60km's of twisty's at a slowly increasing pace! Very early on in the ride it was plainly evident to me that my stopping distances where quite a bit shorter, and with only 2 finger braking, with truckloads more feel at the lever...is definitely a big improvement for trial braking, as the feel at the lever is most definitely more progressive.

Braking also feels much more stable too!

There was nothing wrong with my other brake calipers, these are just that much better...WIN!

I have ridden lots of bikes, but none with radial mounted brake calipers...and none have braked as smoothly as these calipers!

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
So awsome you found these. A while back I was searching like crazy for something like this. In the meanwhile I had some caliper-adapters costum made for me to fit 4 pot's. It's been a while since I was here, I'll post some pic's of my bike here soon.

I think an awsome upgrade for anyone with the early FZ6 and 2 pot's.
You are sure the S1's are for the 83mm spacing older forks?

As or the guy's who already have 4 pot's. I don't think the upgrade is that huge. Since the mounting of the adapter is still conventional, the whole purpose of the radial mount is gone. BUT if you mount better calipers than the stock 4 pot's, your braking wil improve.

My opinion, if you have a newer FZ6 with 4pot's. Just get a radial mastercilinder, HUGE upgrade. I love my RCS 19.

Cheers

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think an awsome upgrade for anyone with the early FZ6 and 2 pot's.
You are sure the S1's are for the 83mm spacing older forks?

As or the guy's who already have 4 pot's. I don't think the upgrade is that huge. Since the mounting of the adapter is still conventional, the whole purpose of the radial mount gone. BUT if you mount better calipers than the stock 4 pot's, you braking wil improve.

My opinion, if you have a newer FZ6 with 4pot's. Get a radial mastercilinder, HUGE upgrade. I love my RCS 19.

Cheers

Yes, the S1 brackets definitely have the 83mm spacing for the pinch bolts.

A radial mounted master cylinder is definitely "on the cards", it will complete the total braking package overhaul.

:thumbup:

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't there any way of fitting the yamaha blue spots like the old fzs had. For the adaptors and radial calipers we're talking getting on for £400. I don't really like the feel of the original brakes but they work OK. I'm not interested in it looking good, just working well. If I could fit some blue spots (or whatever colour they might be now, gold I think) I'd be more than happy and hopefully still have some change left over compared to the radial option. Has anyone tried fitting the blue spots yet?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't there any way of fitting the yamaha blue spots like the old fzs had. For the adaptors and radial calipers we're talking getting on for £400. I don't really like the feel of the original brakes but they work OK. I'm not interested in it looking good, just working well. If I could fit some blue spots (or whatever colour they might be now, gold I think) I'd be more than happy and hopefully still have some change left over compared to the radial option. Has anyone tried fitting the blue spots yet?

I had the "blue" spots on the bike before this, they are the same caliper as the OEM FZ6 "silver" spots on all S2 FZ6's.

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
I have one of the last S1s so do not have the blue spot, gold spot, grey spot etc calipers, and they are what I would like to fit to my S1. I can't help thinking there's a serious reason for not being able to do it or someone would surely have done so by now.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have one of the last S1s so do not have the blue spot, gold spot, grey spot etc calipers, and they are what I would like to fit to my S1. I can't help thinking there's a serious reason for not being able to do it or someone would surely have done so by now.

The biggest problem about changing from the OEM 2 spot calipers on the S1, to 4 pot calipers on the S1, is that the S1 has a strange, and not very commkon pinch bolt gap for caliper mounts....so it is just about impossible to find a 4 pot caliper of any sort that will bolt straight onto the S1 fork leg, and work...

These adaptor brackets are the first such item i have seen, that are a quick fix for this problem, as the guy who makes them makes adaptors that fit the S1 fork leg pinch bolt gap, which enable the fitment of the 4 pot RADIAL calipers...

does that help???