Question

Key5

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 produces about 98 hp. The VFR800 does the same. The FZ6 weighs next to 460 lbs wet. The VFR comes in at around 530. The FZ6 tops out at 130 mph. The VFR makes just under 150. Reported 1/4 mile times favor the VFR by about a second or so.

I don't get it. HP to weight ratio seems to be largely on the side of the FZ6. What am I missing?

I don't mean to stir up any agressions, I'm just curious. I am just wondering as I move toward my FZ6 purchase. The question I posed will not not keep me from my decision. I am going to plunk my down payment this weekend.

I'm choosing the FZ6 because I want a sprite and light middle upright sport-tour that is half-faired and easy to do maintenance on.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Inline vs V4. 'nuff said!

Nah there can be factors like even 0-100 (0-60mph) times where a bike may be faster simply because the other bike has to incorporate a shift (eg the FZ6 does) and the other doesn't as it can surpass that speed in 1st.

In the 1/4 mile, the FZ probably has to shift up two more gears than the VFR because of the narrorwer ratio gearbox.

They're all figures, but the feel on the road can be considerably different.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Different kinds of bikes.

Thats why an R6,with only 600cc will pull a VFR's pants down. :spank:

'Course if you wanted an ugly looking tourer with limited ability,then they make an ideal choice ;)

(Wait for this to blow up :D)

According to MCN,the VFR does a 12 sec quarter,while the FZ6 does it in 11.6.......

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A VFR is a nightmare to do maintenance on. The engine 'bay' is very tightly packed. And it's full faired.

Sensational tourer though imo, and if that was all I was doing on it, I'd buy the VFR over the FZ6. But if there's even an inkling of city, and you love to work on it, FZ6 all the way.

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
those are just numbers on paper (or screen).
You can play the numbers game all day if you like and you'll confuse yourself further more.

Ride both bikes on the same road and you will understand.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my FZ6 with all my heart, but if I had the chance to own a 2007 25th Anniversary VFR, I'd sell the FZ6 in a heartbeat and wouldn't ever look back.

Yes, it's heavier and maintenance might be much harder, but damn that's one sweet looking bike (a riding buddy of mine has this exact bike).

Pure beauty:

c895d4a7.jpg

Plus, it would match my X-11 perfectly! :thumbup:

0c90_20.jpg

yamahaha

that guy is fast
Reaction score
Visit site
i've owned a vfr750 and 800. the fz6 is faster in every aspect as far as im concerned. im not sure where u got the top speed of the fz6 at 130 from, as it will do much faster than that.. the vfr is the cadillac version of the fz6, and thats why it costs so much more. i prefer the vfr for long tours and i like the fz6 as its faster and much more nimble. the vfr is much better looking, but im biased as i like faired bikes more for looks.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 produces about 98 hp. The VFR800 does the same. The FZ6 weighs next to 460 lbs wet. The VFR comes in at around 530. The FZ6 tops out at 130 mph. The VFR makes just under 150. Reported 1/4 mile times favor the VFR by about a second or so.

If you are talking about indicated top ends on BOTH bokes, then speedo error is probably irrelevant so in that light: I was just wondering where you got the FZ6 top speed of 130 mph? I've seen (indicated) 145 on mine already and I've read where others have gotten more than this out of their's, (indicated).
Just wondering.....

Key5

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of the input you guys :)

In regards to the original question and numbers I posted, I got the figures from a review on the 'Top Speed' website and a couple of others I forget. I didn't really trust the reports and it's why I asked about it in this forum.

I've done more research since then and found results that make more sense. It seems the FZ6 quarter mile time is about 11.3 or less and top speed is closer to 150 than 130. Still seems low to me, but I guess it depends on who the pilot is. Whatever, it doesn't really matter. I know the FZ is more than fast enough for me. Hell, I can still scare the bejesus out of myself with my VFR so I wouldn't anticipate a let down with the FZ. I strongly suspect the FZ is quicker. The numbers are just in its favor. Same power, much lighter.

So considering that and other things (half-fairing for easier maintenance, strong aftermarket for touring and performance goodies, upright and comfortable ergos) I did it. I plunked my deposit down today and took the plunge! The dealer didn't have the bike in stock but quickly located one at another Yammy outlet. It'll be in my sweaty, clammy hands before the end of the week! Whoo-hoo! I'm totally looking forward to next Saturday! I got the 'Deep Blue'.

Funny. The dealer said he didn't stock the FZ6 because people don't want a half-faired bike. I don't get that at all. To me it's the best option. You get the benefit of wind protection and easier maintenance. And I think it looks tough as hell. I love being able to see the muscle and pipes hanging down under that gorgeous tank. Boy it's going to be so nice not having to remove plastic to change the oil filter and drain the radiator. And putting on sliders without having to drill holes in a fairing will be awesome.

Out with the old, in with the new. The Interceptor goes up for sale soon, and the proceeds will be used to pay down the note on my FZ. Oh yeah, life is good :)

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
that VFR still looks like it did in the 80's, I understand it's prolly
sweet to ride, but like Honda cars, they sure look boring as hell

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site

In regards to the original question and numbers I posted, I got the figures from a review on the 'Top Speed' website and a couple of others I forget. I didn't really trust the reports and it's why I asked about it in this forum.

I've done more research since then and found results that make more sense. It seems the FZ6 quarter mile time is about 11.3 or less and top speed is closer to 150 than 130. Still seems low to me, but I guess it depends on who the pilot is. Whatever, it doesn't really matter. I know the FZ is more than fast enough for me. Hell, I can still scare the bejesus out of myself with my VFR so I wouldn't anticipate a let down with the FZ. I strongly suspect the FZ is quicker. The numbers are just in its favor. Same power, much lighter.

So considering that and other things (half-fairing for easier maintenance, strong aftermarket for touring and performance goodies, upright and comfortable ergos) I did it. I plunked my deposit down today and took the plunge! The dealer didn't have the bike in stock but quickly located one at another Yammy outlet. It'll be in my sweaty, clammy hands before the end of the week! Whoo-hoo! I'm totally looking forward to next Saturday! I got the 'Deep Blue'.

Funny. The dealer said he didn't stock the FZ6 because people don't want a half-faired bike. I don't get that at all. To me it's the best option. You get the benefit of wind protection and easier maintenance. And I think it looks tough as hell. I love being able to see the muscle and pipes hanging down under that gorgeous tank. Boy it's going to be so nice not having to remove plastic to change the oil filter and drain the radiator. And putting on sliders without having to drill holes in a fairing will be awesome.

Out with the old, in with the new. The Interceptor goes up for sale soon, and the proceeds will be used to pay down the note on my FZ. Oh yeah, life is good :)

Congrats on the new ride! You will have to give us your feedback soon after you get the FZ!

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
I've found the FZ6 to be a much more comfortable tourer than my late 2000 VFR 800. There's more leg room on the FZ and the bars a quite a bit highter. The VFR is a great bike but the FZ6 is better for me.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

The biggest difference in the power is the delivery..... the VFR will have a much wider 'plateau', where the FZ will tend to be slightly more 'peaky'.

Not terribly so, as it's tuned less acutely than the R6 variants. That's why it makes less peak power, as it's spread a bit more over the RPM range.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Regarding your comments about the dealer saying not much demand for the FZ6 type of bike, it confuses the heck out of me too. It seems the majority of people either want the race replica sportsbikes, or the extreme opposite. Takes a lot of them a long number of years in the saddle to realise that an all-rounder really is the way to go. A lot never learn!

I always laugh when on a longer trip with mates, we'll occasionally swap bikes and the only one to gain comment is my comfy steed (whatever it may be). And yet I never have issues keeping up. But then they still choose looks over practicality. Madness!