Question about license plate bulb

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody

My license plate bulb have just died so I removed it last night in order to get it replaced, so I went this morning to the shop and (without searching a lot due to time constraints) so far could only get bulbs with specs 12V 3W, not 5W like the original one

my question:

Is there any problem with putting that lower watt setting?

I really don't know anything about electricity but is my understanding that there are two important settings here for causing troubles.

1. Volts have to be the same
2. Watts cannot be higher

Please correct me if I'm wrong :D

Cheers

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
as the question of the license plate bulb has come up . . . . .

hope you don't mind a little hijack . . . :hijack:

Should the fitting in the stock fender for the licence plate bulb have a reflector ? (mine doesn't) :(

This isn't really a problem when using a stock filiment bulb, but I'm trying to get a bright light using LED.

I've got 3 different types of LED 501 bulbs and they all shine the light in a narrow direction (out the end of the bulb) as opposed to the stock bulb radiating in all directions.

Has anyone got suggestions, Should I try to fabricate a reflector or is there a different type of LED that I've not yet found that would work ?

I know that ultimately the solution will probably be a fender eliminator, but I'm trying to avoid that at the moment.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/user_albums/600riders.com/thumbs/5/bdc72e5af5bc5c7af2460f987467ce20_5276.jpg?dl=1265375195

Attachments

• 8. single LED - Quad LED-  Superlux LED.JPG
    8. single LED - Quad LED- Superlux LED.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Should the fitting in the stock fender for the licence plate bulb have a reflector ? (mine doesn't) :(
Neither does mine.

Has anyone got suggestions...is there a different type of LED that I've not yet found that would work ?

Don't know if you can get in the UK, but I just got one of these:
78564m.jpg

6 Ultra Bright S.M.T. L.E.D. T10 Wedge LED Light Bulb - Automotive LED Lights - LEDLight

Shines down only, very bright.

Last edited:

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Neither does mine.
Don't know if you can get in the UK, but I just got one of these:
78564m.jpg

6 Ultra Bright S.M.T. L.E.D. T10 Wedge LED Light Bulb - Automotive LED Lights - LEDLight
Shines down only, very bright.

That looks like it would work VERY well. Now to trawl through ebay UK . . . (struggling to find a single sided version like you showed)

There's one of those red, rectangular reflectors directly under the tag light assembly on my 07. (stock rear assembly)
Yep, the 06 also has this. I was suprised that the license plate bulb housing does not have a reflector.

Thanks all . . . .