Question about gas tank & tank pad

mgrimaldi0999

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys! This is my first post, however I've been a long time reader.
Anyway, i just started modding my 2009 fz6 and Im looking at tank pads and gas cap pads/stickers and i was wondering if im stuck to using universal tank pads or could i use a r6 or other yamaha ? thanks.

I also just ordered my smoked motodynamics led tail light and plate mount, i cant wait to slap them on!

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums! :welcome:

The FZ6 sure is a great bike, very versatile, economic and definitely fast enough for me! As I've said before, every so often I am tempted to trade it in for a newer, more feature-rich ride. Then, I go ride the '6, and I forget about buying a new bike. :D

For the tank pad - like the "zipper protector" pad - I'm sure you can use pretty much any one you like. Since the placement is not precise, I would just buy the one you like, and "eyeball" it without taking it out of the package. Then, if it sucks in person, or if you don't like where it will end up being placed, just return it and get another.

The gas cap ring is another matter. I think they're somewhat standardized/universal (because I bought a camera mount for one that was for "Yamaha bikes" or something). However, in the Mods forum, there is a great thread/file that shows cross-compatibility for FZ6 and R6/R6S parts. I'd have a look in there if I were you:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/3438-unofficial-fz6-compatibility-chart.html

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pEl7ykroxczRgHdiZ86mULA

rashid

Fazeruncle
Reaction score
Visit site
My previous PVC tank pad disintegrated within a year. I love my current carbon tank pad from Geelong Carbon Craft.

mgrimaldi0999

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. But, rashid I was referring to the stickers that are applied to the gas tank.However I am also looking into my storage/ saddlebag options as well. I have a feeling my bike will be very different looking by the end of the summer. I've got several goodies in the mail now. But I can't see myself spending $500+ for a new muffler.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,how's it going? Welcome! I haven't really looked into the gas tank cover so much. But did you try maybe thinking about Tech Spec tank grips? I just thought I would throw that out there. You can get them in a Pre cut form or in sheets. They protect the tank and give you grip and cushion between you and the tank. Any how good luck.