PVC pipe on footpegs, Warning!

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Some have suggested using PVC pipe on the passenger footrest as saddle bag supports for softbags, didn't go so well for me. I fitted the bags in place and slid the pipes on and pushed down on top of the bags to set them in place. The saddle bags were fully loaded. Well, heard a crack and one of the tabs that hold the footpeg in place cracked off. I managed to find a new one on Ebay but still out $40 bucks. If you were to drop the bike with the saddlebags on I could see the tabs breaking off quite easily. The length of the pipe is just too long and puts too much leverage on the footpeg mount.

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if that one was faulty? the reason I say that is because I have had all my weight on one of the rear pegs and had no problem, and I'm around 300# geared up. IDK food for thought

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like it's faulty. I don't see it holding up to a person standing on it if it snapped under the weight of a saddlebag.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of what I was thinking but the way the pipe goes over the foot peg it tries to leaverage off the peg in an unnatural position. I didn't have my pipe going all the way up to the hand holds. If I had done that it would have been OK.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I simply zip tied a piece of 1" pvc to the underside of the metal tail/exhaust bracket so that the PVC sticks out about 3" on either side and my saddle bags when fully loaded rest on the ends of the PVC pipe, works great...painted the PVC black, can't even tell it's there been working for 4 years now.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I simply zip tied a piece of 1" pvc to the underside of the metal tail/exhaust bracket so that the PVC sticks out about 3" on either side and my saddle bags when fully loaded rest on the ends of the PVC pipe, works great...painted the PVC black, can't even tell it's there been working for 4 years now.

I was thinking of doing something like this but was concerned that the rear tire may rub the pipe.

wicrules

Reaction score
Visit site
My pipes run all the way up to the hand-holds. I then tie them to the hand-holds using those velcro straps you buy to put on extension cords, etc. Very secure and absolutely no leveraging on the brackets.