Pures retired only after 11k!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
WTF? This is my first set that I didn't get 16 or 17k miles. After 7 months and 10,800 miles, I had to get new tires, mainly because my front tire was nearly gone. I could have easlily gotten a few more thousand miles out of the rear, but decided to just replace both.

I didn't take pictures this time around. Sorry folks.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you replace the last tires as a set? If so and the front did wear faster did it have any abnormal wear such as cupping or feathering? If so that could indicate steering head bearing wear, or looseness. The factories for all the manufactures have a tendency to not put enough grease in the Steering head bearings.

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you get so many miles out of your tires? I have gone through 2 fronts in 17k miles... just starting on my 3rd and decided to go cheap, Continentals. My commute is mostly local streets though.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you get so many miles out of your tires? I have gone through 2 fronts in 17k miles... just starting on my 3rd and decided to go cheap, Continentals. My commute is mostly local streets though.

Kenny has been known to magically get more miles out of a given tire than any other FZ rider I know. 11k miles out of a set of Pures is pretty amazing Kenny. You can't expect the same mileage from these as you got out of your Road IIs.

What are you going with next?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you replace the last tires as a set? If so and the front did wear faster did it have any abnormal wear such as cupping or feathering? If so that could indicate steering head bearing wear, or looseness. The factories for all the manufactures have a tendency to not put enough grease in the Steering head bearings.

I always replace them as a set. Of all my half a dozen tire replacements, I have never experienced any cupping on my tires. I have had my steering head replaced, and it was repacked with more grease.

Kenny has been known to magically get more miles out of a given tire than any other FZ rider I know. 11k miles out of a set of Pures is pretty amazing Kenny. You can't expect the same mileage from these as you got out of your Road IIs.

What are you going with next?

Once again, the Michellin Pilot Pures. Instructor discount for $170 for the set. Not including labor for dismounting, mounting and balance.

As far as more aggressiveness, not really. I ride the sameway on every set.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wheel bearings were damaged on last balance? I change one front to 2 rears and that is usually 5,000 for rear and 10,000 for front.... I also weigh 265 lbs and when my finance rides with me she is another 120 lbs. I also live in the country and lots of twisty roads and no interstates...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm becoming a Michelin fan myself. My last set of BT-016's had a bad flat spot in the rear at only 5,000 miles I was past the wear bars and severe cupping up front!

I'm now on Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's and @ 4,000 miles the tires show almost no wear! At this rate I will easily hit 10K miles before these are done. :thumbup:

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to replace my rear after only a couple hundred miles due to a bad flat and put a Pilot Road II CT on there. I commute and have fun, sporty weekends. It also went all the way down to San Francisco and back from Seattle. It still has tons of tread left at ~10k. I just swapped my front stock out after 11k with a Conti Motion. Liking it so far. I'm expecting this one to last around the same as the stockers. I'll probably replace it with another Road II CT since the rear has lasted so long.