Protecting leathers

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
Just got my first leather jacket and want some info on how to best protect it.
I recall one of the rider instructors recommending not using dubin due to it's ph levels being acidic and eating the cotton seams. He recommended a similar product available from saddle shops like benetts that is red and has a neutral ph.

Penny for your thoughts/recommendations?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't imagine a common saddle soap being bad for your leathers. I worry more about the perforations in my leather getting clogged up when I clean them so I'm cautious about that. I don't know if they have it in your neck of the woods but for almost 3 years I've been using a cleaner/conditioner called Stage 2 that was distributed by Teknic It's worked great and I have quite a few battle scars on my leathers now and give those spots a dash of black shoe wax and buff it off really good.
Good to hear from you! The last time I saw you, you were taking an oath. Something about little black flies in your radiators!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What jacket did you get? I have a Teknic Chicane and I absolutely love it :thumbup:

When I rode to Tassie recently, the plague of locusts in Horsham were pretty bad. 300kms worth of bad :eek:

Sponge with soapy water worked wonders.

As for anything else, I'd go to a leather shop and ask their advice. I'm sure they'd have good products. :)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Lanolin on my leathers...then boot polish! Keeps them waterproof, soft, and black!

:thumbup:

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been using Armour All leather wipes & Im pretty happy with them.Very conveinient(?)They come in a plastic container like babywipes,sweet:thumbup:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i use mothers leather conditioner. it works great it keeps the leather supple. i first clean it with mothers/autoglym leather cleaner. these are made for car leather upholstery and always worked fine on both my leather seats and my leather jacket!:thumbup:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No more tears baby shampoo to clean followed by car leather conditioner.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats not a bad price for a leather jacket.
I got a set of leather care stuff at the motorcycle show two years ago, comes with a cleaner, a softener and a finisher from memory.
Works well on my jacket and boots.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Best way of protecting leather is to keep it clean & to keep it from drying out becoming brittle. Best way to clean leathers?

I know people who swear by Renapur Motorcyclists - Renapur

Buy in Aust here Renapur

I have a good friend who owns Oz Motorcycle Leathers http://ozmotorcycleleathers.com/ ,she tells me to regularly treat my leathers with Bio Oil. Expensive stuff to wipe over your leathers but keeps em soft for use & prevent them drying out.

The tried & tested method of giving your leathers a good clean is .................in a washing machine using fabric softener.
Cold or warm water, delicate cycle, then hang em to dry out of direct sunlight. Preferably outdoors but out of the sun eg car port, so they still get the breeze.
Seriously.
I know a few who throw their boots in the machine too.
Fabric softener won't dry out leather like detergents will but still gets the dirt & sweaty smells from the leathers :thumbup:

Last edited: