problem upshifting (2nd -> 3rd)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Was getting up to speed this morning, and as I was doing about 75-80mph i discovered that my pedal wouldn't shift upwards and into 3rd gear (using the clutch)

Was a bit disconcerting, but after fumbling for several seconds I was able to pull in the clutch in and shift down to 1st and then shift back up into 2nd and then 3rd.

Is this something to be worried about? It seemed fine afterwards.

I guess the next step would be to change the oil and put some fully synthetic in?

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I've found I need to use a lot more force to shift between 2 and 3 than I do for any other gears, but it's never refused to shift.

I was planning on calling the shop to have this checked out -- so I also have that question... is it something I should be concerned about?

Jinx

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I think I'm just surprised hearing you're doing 75-80 in second gear...

My second->third is one of the smoother gears to transition to. first->second sometimes has a clunk to it, but not much. If you're in doubt, take it to the shop. Best to be the cautious type than to have something break down while on the road.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
it wasn't like i was cruising along, i'd come onto a dual carriageway and was overtaking some cars. I only noted the speed when i looked down to check i wasn't in neutral as the bike didn't seem to be responding as normal.

aren't these bikes built to rev anyway, i don't think i was anywhere near the limiter :)

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
Another thing you could try is to shift from 2nd to 3rd around 60mph... I think that will put you somewhere between 7,000 and 8,000 RPM.
I also suggest that you lube all of the shifter linkage, and check your clutch cable free play. Those 2 things made a huge difference for my bike!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, make sure your releasing the shifter fully (so it goes back to center on its own) before shifting.

You may need to adjust your shift lever higher or lower depending on how your seated accelerating hard... The linkage on the left side, has 2 lock nuts at each end. One is reverse threaded. Unlock both lock nuts and turn the shaft slowly.

I'd put a ruler next to the end of the shifter to measure your progress wether your going up or down and how much..

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find my bike shifts very smoothly if I preload the shifter before pulling in the clutch. Not sure why your shift didn't work. Maybe Townsends suggestion is correct - the shifter may have not been fully released after your shift to second if you were accelerating hard.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
did you put full synthetic oil or a new oil that you haven't try before? i had the same problem with some oils....