Power Commander III, anybody running one?

D

D-Rock

Is anybody running one? If so, was it worth the 300 bucks?

My buddy rides a suzuki SV650 and he said it was worth it just to smooth out the power band. Then again it is a SV. They are good bikes, just not a FZ.

I'm thinking about getting a one, but I really dont know if it is worth it. My FZ6 runs great bone stock, I'm just thinking it would be a cool mod.

Maybe I should just put my cash into better saddle bags, or a Givi box. I'm also thinking abouth getting the taller wind sheild. With the cold weather coming it might help out. I checked out some of those electric heated gloves from Gerbling's. Has anybody wired those up? Can the charging system handle the power to heat the gloves, coat, pants... ect...?

Just some questions.. this is my first thread ever.. just joined yesturday.:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a search on this forum, there is heaps of stuff about PCIII's on this site...i have posted my results in my profile if your interested?

Best Bang for your buck, with a custom map, you can do to your bike, performance wise.

:Flash:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I have been here for 3 to 4 months. I am also new to bikes period. But I am learning alot from riding and listening to alot of these guys. I don't know anything about a Power Commander III but wanted to welcome you and good luck with whatever you decide about that thing :)

D

D-Rock

thanks man,

I bought my FZ6 brand new in 2005. I traded in my DRZ400S for it.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey D-Rock, welcome to the best bike forum on the web!
I installed a PCIII about 2 weeks after installing Scorpions and a K&N filter. There's no doubt that the PCIII has increased the mid-range performance of my 06 FZ6...I have no hard data to support that statement (yet) but my seat-of-the-pants dynamometer tells me that my bike pulls much stronger from 4000 rpm than it did pre-PCIII. I downloaded Dynojet's custom MAP for Scorpions and aftermarket filter. My fuel consumption initially dropped to about 35 mpg, but that was because I was charging around everywhere in 2nd gear, just to listen to my Scorp's. :D My gas mileage has now settled down to a rock steady 42 mpg, and I certainly don't "spare the horses" when I'm riding, despite being (very much) old enough to know better.
I am going to have my bike custom map'd at Skagit Powersports in Burlington, WA (who are an authorized Dynojet dealer) when I can ride again, which will no doubt improve the performance even more. (I'm temporarily out of commission after back surgery 3 weeks ago)
To answer your question 'is it worth the $300?', I'd say yes..no doubt about it. Does the FZ6 "need" a PCIII? No, not if you're happy with the factory performance, and what's there not to be happy about? But where's the fun in that, eh? :D
I've also got a new 15 tooth front sprocket that's getting installed as soon as I can pull a wrench again.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey D-Rock, welcome to the best bike forum on the web!
I installed a PCIII about 2 weeks after installing Scorpions and a K&N filter. There's no doubt that the PCIII has increased the mid-range performance of my 06 FZ6...I have no hard data to support that statement (yet) but my seat-of-the-pants dynamometer tells me that my bike pulls much stronger from 4000 rpm than it did pre-PCIII. I downloaded Dynojet's custom MAP for Scorpions and aftermarket filter. My fuel consumption initially dropped to about 35 mpg, but that was because I was charging around everywhere in 2nd gear, just to listen to my Scorp's. :D My gas mileage has now settled down to a rock steady 42 mpg, and I certainly don't \"spare the horses\" when I'm riding, despite being (very much) old enough to know better.
I am going to have my bike custom map'd at Skagit Powersports in Burlington, WA (who are an authorized Dynojet dealer) when I can ride again, which will no doubt improve the performance even more. (I'm temporarily out of commission after back surgery 3 weeks ago)
To answer your question 'is it worth the $300?', I'd say yes..no doubt about it. Does the FZ6 \"need\" a PCIII? No, not if you're happy with the factory performance, and what's there not to be happy about? But where's the fun in that, eh? :D
I've also got a new 15 tooth front sprocket that's getting installed as soon as I can pull a wrench again.

Good grief dude - hope you get better soon!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Good grief dude - hope you get better soon!

Hey, thanks Jman! :)
To put a positive spin on it...the only therapy is walking and at least the weather's still good to do that. I'd hate to be doing this in January, even in Vancouver.
On another note...I'm eating like a pig, I'm so bored. I may have to buy a whole new set of gear by the time Spring rolls around. :eek::rof: