Poor idle

Slow

SQUID
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '06 with 4,800 miles with k&n filter, leo vince exhaust & cat eliminator. my idle is really lopey, it goes up and down from 1320rpm to 1080rpm. i did the TPS test and the range is 16-100, so i guess it is in spec. any ideas why my idle is so poor?

Slow

SQUID
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you synchronized your throttle bodies? I don't know if it would help, just throwng out an idea.

i have not, it seems complicated. do they ever go out of sync anyways?

i've done some research - it looks like adding the mods i did might throw the TBs out of sync. i guess i'll have to look into doing the sync :(

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike did the same thing when I installed a cat-eliminator pipe.
I didn't bother trying to resync the throttle bodies or remove the IAS system, I just put the cat back in and it went back to normal.

Slow

SQUID
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike did the same thing when I installed a cat-eliminator pipe.
I didn't bother trying to resync the throttle bodies or remove the IAS system, I just put the cat back in and it went back to normal.

bummer, i'd like to get it to idle nicely without the cat

maybe i'll try bumping the idle to 1400rpm

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried adjusting the idle, and adjusting the fuel with my power commander, nothing helped.
Get the throttle bodies synced if you want it to run without the cat.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone remember the throttle body synch tool people were talking about 6 months ago? I remeber reding somewhere that the fz has to have a special adapter to fit on the vaccumm hoses, or maybe i read it wrong. Anyway, does anyone have a throttle body synch kit they would recommend?

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yea, you can get one from Harbor Freight...not sure how good it is though.

Also, why eliminate the Cat? It's not like you really need the 2-3 HP that it MIGHT give you by ridding yourself of it. Keep the bike clean and keep the cat cuz we know that the exhausts on our bike are for the fun/cool factor and not performance ;)

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
The idle on my 06 was very erratic after installing the Scorpions and a K&N filter. The idle "hunted" (too lean).
Installing a Power Commander III with the Scorpion MAP rectified the problem and it now idles smoothly. The PCIII map enriches the mixture throughout the rpm/throttle opening range, but most importantly enriches the mixture by a setting of "7" at 1000 rpm and closed throttle.
My bike sometimes smells like a 360ci Cordoba at idle when it's warming up. :D

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the idle surge on my 07. I raised the idle, messed with the powercommander, got mad, etc. The only thing that fixed it is putting the db killers back in the mufflers. If you do not have them in get the bike to start surging and cover one of the mufflers with your hand, if the surging stops then you have an idea. I need to get my TB's synced with the db killers out, see if it will go away. I am also removing my IAS system as soon as we get better weather.

Slow

SQUID
Reaction score
Visit site
The idle on my 06 was very erratic after installing the Scorpions and a K&N filter. The idle "hunted" (too lean).
Installing a Power Commander III with the Scorpion MAP rectified the problem and it now idles smoothly. The PCIII map enriches the mixture throughout the rpm/throttle opening range, but most importantly enriches the mixture by a setting of "7" at 1000 rpm and closed throttle.
My bike sometimes smells like a 360ci Cordoba at idle when it's warming up. :D

so your theory is that the idle is lumpy due to the fact that the bike is running lean after freeing up some airflow. couldnt i just do the CO tweak instead of getting a PCIII to add some extra fuel (assuming that the idle is erratic due to a lean condition)

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
yea, you can get one from Harbor Freight...not sure how good it is though.

Also, why eliminate the Cat? It's not like you really need the 2-3 HP that it MIGHT give you by ridding yourself of it. Keep the bike clean and keep the cat cuz we know that the exhausts on our bike are for the fun/cool factor and not performance ;)

Thanks, ill go by harbor freight this weekend.:thumbup:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
so your theory is that the idle is lumpy due to the fact that the bike is running lean after freeing up some airflow. couldnt i just do the CO tweak instead of getting a PCIII to add some extra fuel (assuming that the idle is erratic due to a lean condition)

If the CO is adjustable on an 06 (I don't know if it is without adding a PCIII), then yes....a little "tweak" to richen up the CO should do the trick. Balancing the throttle bodies would probably go a long way towards a smoother idle as well.

Slow

SQUID
Reaction score
Visit site
bump.

so has anybody done filter,slip-on, and cat elimination without a lumpy idle? :confused: