Pillion embarkation?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Me and the Mrs just had our first weekender, it was brilliant. The only thing we struggle with is getting her on the bike, especially with all the luggage on.

The way I was taught, was for the front seat rider to get on, put the stand up, take the weight on the left leg, both brakes on. Then the back seat rider puts their left foot on the left peg, hands on the front seats shoulders, then steps up and swings a leg over.

My Mrs either can't or won't do that. Using a kerb as a step has helped, but there's not always one available, or one that's safe to use.

But yesterday we saw a really different technique. The rider put the bike on the side stand in a bit of space, then the pillion got on the front seat, still on the side stand, before using the front pegs to stand/slide up the saddle to the back seat. Then the front seat rider got on, with the pillion guiding his foot over.

Anyone got any thoughts? Would anyone trust the side stand that much? I'd hate to see the love of my life.............and the Mrs in a snotty heap on the floor.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I get on first, with the side stand DOWN, using it to hold up the bike from the LEFT SIDE(along with my legs of course).

Once on, I have her, mount up, same side, SAME way, on the sidestand.

It helps alot to have her climb on board as straight up as possible or she can leverage you and the bike OVER..

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The side stand can easily take the weight of bike + rider. When I have my top case and side cases on, I often get on while bike is on sidestand, so that I can stand with left foot on peg straight up before swinging right leg over.. much easier to clear cases.

Having said that, the technique you described 1st is the proper way to do it.
I'd try it again. Have her place her left foot on the peg and arms on your shoulders. Ask her to try to stand straight up, in line with the bike and your body.. don't worry about swinging right leg over for now. Just see if she can stand up and come back down few times like this.
If she can figure this move out, swinging right leg over once she's up on the peg with her left foot should be easy.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used both methods with the kids. Having all their gear on they cant move or bend as well. My son gets up on the drivers seat then uses the foot rests to scoot back to the pillion seat.

blastoff

Reaction score
Visit site
Although the second method is fine on most bikes, be aware that it's a really bad thing to do on a very few bikes. Ducati runs the sidestand pivot through the extremely lightweight cases on some of the newer Monsters, and they don't want butt(s) on the seat with the stand down - at all.

Just something for the back of your mind.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider who's had a passenger on the bike twice now. I found that if I'm on the bike with both feet holding it straight up, as long as she's putting her centre of gravity over the bike as she steps onto the rear foot peg, there aren't any problems. Mind you, squatting twice a week may help;)