Photographic tips needed

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys n Girls,

I am really keen to get going with my camera but, don't fully understand the finer tuning aspects.

Shutter speeds, how to focus on one subject but maintain a clear background, how to focus on a subject but lose focus of the surroundings so only the image remains sharp. How to best use light, tips on framing my shots.

Please could those of you who know give me some pointers.

Nelly:confused:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've been figuring that out bit by bit since 1990, and three years ago started teaching a Nature Photography course at the local community college. The link posted above will help, it's hard to distill everything into one post.

The smaller the aperture on your lens, the more everything in the background will be in focus (but you'll need longer shutter speed, and possibly a tripod). The larger your aperture, the more the background will go out of focus, isolating your subject. Film speed, or ISO setting on a digital camera, will shift this relationship up or down.

Best light? Try this: take a picture of something in a convenient location (your backyard) at dawn and then again every two hours throughout the day; you'll soon see where the "magic light" is (and right at dawn or dusk, even ten minutes can change the look dramatically).

Framing? Two points: put your subject at a point one-third from one edge and one-third from the other edge of the frame (this is called the Rule of Thirds). Two, if your subject has a "direction of motion", or a face, make sure you leave space "in front of it" for it to go/look. Generally, try not to put your subject dead-center in your frame.

Hope this helps; I'm eventually going to have a website with my photos on it, it'd be a lot easier to explain stuff with some references! :eek:

Davop

Reaction score
Visit site
You didn't mention what type of camera you have. So I don't know what control variables you have on the camera. But I can give some basic advice that applies to all cameras, Digital or Film. Two things happen in tandem when you shoot a picture and control the light entering the camera. The shutter (imagine a curtain opening and closing rapidly) opens and light enters through the aperature opening in the lens. Both the shutter speed and the aperature size are controlable on most cameras. You'll have to check the owners manual to know if and how to do this for your camera.
To answer your question, if you want part of the picture to blur (other than the subject) use a low number Aperature (F3.5 for example). The term for this is "Depth Of Field". A shallow depth of field is when only the subject is in focus. :thumbup:
Good Luck

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You didn't mention what type of camera you have. So I don't know what control variables you have on the camera. But I can give some basic advice that applies to all cameras, Digital or Film. Two things happen in tandem when you shoot a picture and control the light entering the camera. The shutter (imagine a curtain opening and closing rapidly) opens and light enters through the aperature opening in the lens. Both the shutter speed and the aperature size are controlable on most cameras. You'll have to check the owners manual to know if and how to do this for your camera.
To answer your question, if you want part of the picture to blur (other than the subject) use a low number Aperature (F3.5 for example). The term for this is "Depth Of Field". A shallow depth of field is when only the subject is in focus. :thumbup:
Good Luck
Thanks, I have a Kodak Z710 digital. I used to hate taking pictures but I have been inspired by some of the great shots in the photo contest.

Nelly

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly, here is a site which is mainly a review site but they have a forum and some good explainations of camera functions in the "learn/Glossary" : DPreview (Digital photography review)
Good luck with your new found interest, looking forward to seeing some results in the photo contest (no pressure) :thumbup:

B

bluenova

Also take a look at DPChallenge - A Digital Photography Contest they have some great tips on that site.

To easily control how much of the picture is in focus, put the camera in 'AP' mode, this will allow you to manually adjust the aperture while the camera will automatically adjust the shutter speed to allow the correct amount of light in for a balanced picture. The higher the F-stop (aperture number) the more of the pic will be in focus. BUT the higher the F-stop number the slower the shutter speed will be, so a tripod may be required.

H

HavBlue

Also take a look at DPChallenge - A Digital Photography Contest they have some great tips on that site.

To easily control how much of the picture is in focus, put the camera in 'AP' mode, this will allow you to manually adjust the aperture while the camera will automatically adjust the shutter speed to allow the correct amount of light in for a balanced picture. The higher the F-stop (aperture number) the more of the pic will be in focus. BUT the higher the F-stop number the slower the shutter speed will be, so a tripod may be required.

Most of the newer cameras have ASP, (automatic shutter priority) and while it's a very good thing for the average user, for me it's a pain in the butt and one true reason I still love my old manual 35mm SLR cameras. The nice thing about a manual camera is it's diversity. The other thing that bothers me about even the best of digital cameras is color, they hate red. For existing light photography (timed photography with little or no light) they also have a long way to go. Funny how a $4.00 35mm camera can match a $400 digital camera in terms of actual picture quality. Digitals are quick, convenient and very user friendly but I'll stick with my old ones...

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Nelly - If you feel like taking some time out on a weekend let PM me and we can go to Kew Gardens and I'll show you some techniques. Maybe even go for a ride afterwards.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly - If you feel like taking some time out on a weekend let PM me and we can go to Kew Gardens and I'll show you some techniques. Maybe even go for a ride afterwards.
No that sound like a proper good idea. I will run it by the "trouble" and get back to ya.

Thanks

Nelly