Petrol Filler cap pressure...?

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there - was wondering, when re-fueling, does anyone else experience an almost pressure sealed
cap. Every other fueling, I struggle to open my filler cap... Just fearing I may break my bloody key one of
these days as I have to hold onto it to pop the cap open.

This does not happen me to all the time...

Weird one this, What ya recon..?

Cheers, vj

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
As in, negative pressure inside the tank (vacuum) or positive pressure inside the tank (balloon)? I get positive pressure inside the tank when it's hot out, right after I go through a lot of fresh gas. The fresh gas is cold (stored underground), and then I pump it into the tank and the sun and engine heat it up, which makes it expand. So if I go right through the tank on a long ride, when I pop the lid to refuel sometimes I get a quick "POOSSHHHHH" from it.

I guess it's possible you have a pinched puke tube though...? Have you lifted the tank recently to do anything?

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem from day 1. First fillup I almost called home to have my wife look in the owners manual in case I was doing something wrong. On my first FZ6 group ride, I saw others opening their cap with no problems. I went home and lifted the tank/unkinked the hose, no problem since then.

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't force the key, mate! Use your free hand thumb to push down on the filler cap before you try to turn the key. I think you'll find it turns easily then. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to free up the latch. :thumbup:

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
"POOSSHHHHH"- thats the word i was looking for lol..!!:D I have not lifted my tank in a while. Umm - I could of pinched a pipe when lowing it tho - I shall check this over the weekend. I do however fill up to max and refill when low, so that also makes sense with regards to going through a full tank to petrol, and causing a vacuum.

Adirondack Jack -- nice tip, i shall try that on my next refill.

Sweeet - i think you guys have nailed it...! Cheers fella's, vj