PCSing Soon

dobbeusaf

Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to be PCSing to Germany in a few months. I am taking my car and bike of course. I just need to find out if I need to keep the vehicles registered and titled in the states.(by doing this though I would need to keep min insurance in the states) I know I will need insurance for Germany. USAA gave me an awesome quote. So do I turn my plates in and get new ones once I get to Germany?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Once you get there you'll get the scoop during in processing. You will get "USA" plates from whatever post you live on or whatever post is near by. USAA has amazing rates.

You will also have to get the German TUV inspection once a year too. Their inspection isn't the BS one done in the States. You will have to repair any faults that are found per their list or you don't get to drive, period. The Germans don't mess around. Tires can only have so much wear, brakes, no cracks in glass, rust must be repaired, etc. The good thing is you'll buy fuel on post and save a fortune vs. the economy.

Where are you going? I was in Wurzberg and Frankfurt, which we are not longer at. Are you going to the new places at Graf?

I think Germany is the best place to PCS too, except for maybe Italy. Just don't be a barracks rat and sit around and feel sorry for yourself. Grab another Joe, get a train pass and TRAVEL. If you are single the Single Solider Program has some excellent trips a amazing prices.

Have fun!

OLYpilot510

Reaction score
Visit site
I see "USAF" in your user name here, so I'm assuming you're Air Force (me too). With that being said, are you headed to Ramstein or Spang? Either way, you'll love it. I had a blast, the 4 years I spent at Ramstein. TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL every chance you get. It might be one of those "once in a lifetime" opportunities that you'll look back on, and be glad you did.

With the vehicle, you'll get new registration & plates once you get there. Your inprocessing briefings will cover all that crap. You'll have to take a test on basic road rules and those crazy signs (you'll learn the metric system pretty quick, if you haven't already). It's not too hard. You've already got the hook-up from USAA (smart move), so you're one step ahead of the other folks.

One piece of advice regarding Autobahn driving: STAY THE HELL TO THE RIGHT UNLESS YOU'RE PASSING, lest you get mowed over by a Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, or even Volkswagen doing twice your speed. You'll get really cozy using your rearview mirror in no time. Defensive driving & situational awareness takes on a whole new meaning over there. Be safe & have fun!!!

dobbeusaf

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm headed to Spangdahlem. Going to try to stay there as long as I can. I can't wait to be over there. My wife is excited too. I'm in Korea now so she couldn't come here but Germany she can. I have heard nothing but good things about Germany. I can't wait to travel! Thanks for your help guys.