Passenger foot peg removal

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not currently licensed to carry passengers and do not have the desire to try anytime soon and I was looking at ways to make the bike look "cleaner". This should also drop some weight. Has anyone bothered trying to remove the passenger pegs? I see two ways to do this; take them off the bar that runs from the frame to the rear or remove that whole bar (and lose the helmet lock that I have used twice in 700 miles). The former method would probably look worse than with them on, b/c the mounting bracket would still remain. So with the later method, can those whole bars be safely removed, or do they serve some sort of structural purpose?

They hold up the rear tail. You could however, take the pegs off the bar and grid/cut off the peg mounts and have it powder coated to match. That would be cool to me. All I did was take the pegs off the mount, remove the rubber foot pad, and paint the silver part black. And in my opinion looks much better (and cost less than my suggestion). But I do carry passengers. G/L

I am not currently licensed to carry passengers and do not have the desire to try anytime soon and I was looking at ways to make the bike look "cleaner". This should also drop some weight. Has anyone bothered trying to remove the passenger pegs? I see two ways to do this; take them off the bar that runs from the frame to the rear or remove that whole bar (and lose the helmet lock that I have used twice in 700 miles). The former method would probably look worse than with them on, b/c the mounting bracket would still remain. So with the later method, can those whole bars be safely removed, or do they serve some sort of structural purpose?

What year is your FZ? On '07 and newer you simply unbolt them. If it is '06 or older, I think I'd just leave it alone. Someday you will sell your bike and the next person may want the p-pegs. If you've chopped them off there is no way to put them back on unless they are rewelded.

What year is your FZ? On '07 and newer you simply unbolt them. If it is '06 or older, I think I'd just leave it alone. Someday you will sell your bike and the next person may want the p-pegs. If you've chopped them off there is no way to put them back on unless they are rewelded.

And on that note, you could find some compatible bolts that are shorter and will fill in the holes.

edit: I re-read his post and he has a helmet lock so I think it is '07 or newer.

Seconded. My '07 has removable pegs but I leave them on since Mrs. Doorag likes to ride pillion whenever she can. Although powder-coating them black might be a cool idea. Stealth pegs...nice. One more for the future mods list.

Last edited:
I have an '07. I just removed the foot peg fixture itself. The empty bracket sticks out like a sore thumb to me. But that is just because I am looking dead at it and thinking about it. I am sure it will blend into the bike once I am used to it. I will put up pictures when I am done being lazy.

P.S. It took longer to find the socket than it did to remove the thing. About 3-4 minutes total. I think it will be a good temporary fix until I have a passenger or get everything powdercoated.

I have an '07. I just removed the foot peg fixture itself. The empty bracket sticks out like a sore thumb to me. But that is just because I am looking dead at it and thinking about it. I am sure it will blend into the bike once I am used to it. I will put up pictures when I am done being lazy.

P.S. It took longer to find the socket than it did to remove the thing. About 3-4 minutes total. I think it will be a good temporary fix until I have a passenger or get everything powdercoated.

did you remove it from the bar or the peg from the bracket?

Looks pretty good! Like I said earlier, get some short bolts, paint the heads black, put 'em in and no one will even know!

Speaking of removing things, I want to get a paddock stand and remove my centre stand. That must save 5KG or so. It would also get rid of the annoying thing my heel seems to rest on on the left side of the bike.

Speaking of removing things, I want to get a paddock stand and remove my centre stand. That must save 5KG or so. It would also get rid of the annoying thing my heel seems to rest on on the left side of the bike.

I'm sure some of the racers/track day whores have removed it and just use the side stand.

nope, i was wondering about that too. Must be a state thing, her in Oregon we get a license and thats it.

Back