Parking the bike in the wind

H

HavBlue

the wind up there has to be about the worst I've ridden in.

Back on topic: when we stopped at the Hideout, both bikes were on the sidestand facing the wind. my logic is the fairing is designed to control the airflow over the bike so turning the bike into the wind reduces the frontal surface area and gives the wind less to push on.

Exactly, the less surface area the wind has to grab the more difficult it will be to snag the bike.

J

jsteinb95

but 100mph is a reach. I will however say they can hit 60mph.
I just noticed this in your post.
Why must you think you're always right? Are you saying the news was lying about 100 mph? I didn't say it was consistent, I said gusts of wind. Do you know what "gust of wind" means?

H

HavBlue

I just noticed this in your post.
Why must you think you're always right? Are you saying the news was lying about 100 mph? I didn't say it was consistent, I said gusts of wind. Do you know what "gust of wind" means?

Not think, know. 100mph gusts in the area you refer to would be a record for certain but better yet why not look at the records base on NOAA. The San Diego location has one of, if not the best, accumulation of data available to the public on any NOAA site. Furthermore, I worked the Palomar Ranger District for years and understand it far better than you will ever know it unless of course you are intending on spending thousands of hours on the ground in that area. You choose to ride through it and may understand it from a birds eye view in terms relative to the next twistie but this knowledge is limited at best.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I will try parking the bike facing directly into the wind next time. Yes, less mass for the wind to grab.

J

jsteinb95

Not think, know. 100mph gusts in the area you refer to would be a record for certain but better yet why not look at the records base on NOAA. The San Diego location has one of, if not the best, accumulation of data available to the public on any NOAA site. Furthermore, I worked the Palomar Ranger District for years and understand it far better than you will ever know it unless of course you are intending on spending thousands of hours on the ground in that area. You choose to ride through it and may understand it from a birds eye view in terms relative to the next twistie but this knowledge is limited at best.

So, basically you're calling me AND sportrider_fz6 a liar? Why don't you search it on the internet. You were there that day or what?

"... of structures on Palomar Mountain when flames from the Poomacha fire jumped ......, considerably less than the fierce gusts of up to 100 mph that whipped fire ..."

B

Bo67

Interesting question; I've used the centerstand on every bike I've owned that had one, especially when it's windy here (which is a lot).
Thinking I may have been doing the wrong thing all this time I just went out to my garage for an unscientific "tip test".
In my mind, the bike is more difficult to tip on the centerstand. Trying to tip the bike from the right side (applying force onto the side stand) takes about the same as on the centerstand and it doesn't take much at all from the left since there is nothing to act as a stop on the right side.
I guess if I knew the wind would always hit the front or the right side of my bike, I'd use the side stand. Since I don't I'll just keep using the centerstand when it's windy.
When I do use the sidestand I too leave the bike in first gear as other members have stated.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mate this is a light hearted a fun discussion forum, we don't need to establish absolute fact. If you think your right fine go to sleep knowing that. Don't disrespect other posters. You have been on the forum a very short while. Most people on here if they make an error will come back and say so. Just chill, its not life or death. Its just fun.
Neil

W

wrightme43

I always use the sidestand. I believe it is more stable. Pointing the fairing into the wind is great idea that I had never heard or thought of.

A short search on googly googly returns several instances of reported 100mph gusts on Palomar. I wasnt there with a wind gauge so I have to take the people who were actually there, at thier word.