Painting the Sidepods

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like it without those decals. I have been wanting to remove mine and the decals on the fairing as well. How did you do it? I have read all the posts on here about removing stickers from the gas tank and swing arms but I am wondering if the procedure is different for decals on plastic vs. stickers on metal.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like it without those decals. I have been wanting to remove mine and the decals on the fairing as well. How did you do it? I have read all the posts on here about removing stickers from the gas tank and swing arms but I am wondering if the procedure is different for decals on plastic vs. stickers on metal.

The ones on plastic are super easy... just pull them off directly... then use some WD-40 to clean the left over (if any).

About the frame + tank + swingarm stickers, just use your hair dryer and some patience... it will take you about 30 minutes to do it manually... heat up the sticker, scratch it off little by little... WD-40 to clean off the left over goo (or goo remover, or chain cleaner works too... just make sure you rince it off with water shortly after...)

Good luck :D

W

wrightme43

I being the obsesive oddball that I am, use Adhesive Remover.
9034 - Klean-Strip Aircraft Decal & Adhesive Remover - EAD908

I don't like to work hard, I have never had good luck using a hairdryer or a heat gun.
I have very hard fingernails and they scratch the paint cause I always get it to hot, then the decal comes off and the adhesive stays. It works for most people just not very well for me.

So I use decal remover. Its like magic, you spray it on, wait two minutes, spray on another coat and wipe off the decal. Spray on one more light coat to loosen up the adhesive, wipe it off, then spray wd-40 and wipe it off.
Then I clean the paint with windex, and wax it with liquid glass to seal the paint.

Everybody is different. This way works for me.

B

Bo67

IDK... On my front fairing the stickers look easily removable but it looks and feels like the stickers on my sidepods are clearcoated over. Thoughts?
('07 FZ6)

B

Bo67

please disregard my last post. I thought the red was painted and the black was a sticker. Upon further inspection it looks like it's one large sticker. Excuse my ignorance......

W

wrightme43

OK this was a horrible idea.

I am not happy with it at all.

I tried to fix the mismatch of color on the front fairing. Its better but still not perfect.

The side pods I am very disapointed in. I completly stripped them and did it a second time and it turned out worse than before.

So all in all, this did not work.