Overpriced 2nd hand bikes - USA you are SOOOO lucky

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's good news for usd FZ6 owners, the FZ6 is holding it's value well, and is ageing quite nicely price wise.

But your right Kazza, 2nd hand bikes in Australia are expensive compared to what our American friends have to pay.

:eek:

vwtech

Reaction score
Visit site
I paid 3800 us dollars for mine. 9000 miles. When I bought mine, there was another one on craigslist.org for 4500 with 2000 miles. I feel sorry for you guys. How much are they new in australia?

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang!!! I think after i'm done putting 20k miles on mine, i'll ship it to Australia and sell it there!
i paid 2900 for mine with 7k miles on it. I'm guessing i was able to lower the price because the head bearings were about to go and you could feel it.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
New, they are about $11,000 on road.

Mine was an ex dealer demo - paid $9500 for it - 1000 kms on it. 08 model. That, believe me, was a good price at the time.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stop complaining!

A new Fazer 600 here is the equivalent of USD 12,000 excluding licence and registration.

I found a 2006 for sale online with 21,000km on it for USD 8,100.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wonder why.. is importing to your country expensive for japan??? $11k new is about an r1 here... or is it that your country has ALOT more bikers, thus making yamaha alot more money??? whats the price of some other bikes that we would know?? like, whats a cbr 600, zx-10, gsx-600, harley go for???

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
i wonder why.. is importing to your country expensive for japan??? $11k new is about an r1 here... or is it that your country has ALOT more bikers, thus making yamaha alot more money??? whats the price of some other bikes that we would know?? like, whats a cbr 600, zx-10, gsx-600, harley go for???
CBR600RR is AU15K ride away..
R1 ranges from 18-20K

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Generaly doesn't prices work on the supply and demand theory? Which would mean used motorcycles are in much more demand down under than is the good old USA. It is probably cheaper to get them to the USA freight wise but I wouldn't think that much. OUCH is right. :eek:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
this info is off the yamaha website

2009 fz6 - 7290 usd
2009 fz6r - 7090 usd
2010 fz6r - 7490 usd

no idea how they justify a 400 increase over one year for basically the same bike. paint must have gotten expensive

Inventure

Reaction score
Visit site
no idea how they justify a 400 increase over one year for basically the same bike. paint must have gotten expensive

Considering Yamaha made a loss of $169 Million in the first quarter of 2009, I guess they are within their rights to increase the price a little.

Although the 2nd hand prices might seem a little high, when you consider that $10-15 thousand odd dollars can buy you a brand new motorcycle, it's not really that big a dent in the wallet compared to other things- sure it is a lot of money, but people spend this on alcohol, cigarettes etc it a year.

We all complain about prices, but look at Buell - they have gone up in smoke, other brands like MV have been sold how many times to try and stay afloat.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, but we make up for it in expensive gasoline.. ;) I paid $2.57 a gallon today..
(yes, I'm being sarcastic)

I knew I got a good deal on my 2007 with 7500 miles and full GIVI luggage, heated grips, aftermarket shield, sliders, etc. a few months ago at $3900.. The luggage and extras were worth an easy $1500 alone.. I had to put tires on it 2000 miles later, though.. That was $240 installed for the pair :thumbup:

I'm not being nice, I'm done rubbing it in..

The only time I've found a deal on an item out of the states was when I bought a Shuberth helmet at a BMW bike dealer in Jo'Berg, RSA.. It was $100 cheaper than I could get it in Europe, and it wasn't available in the USA at all.:eek:

Maybe the bikes are more expensive because of the right hand drive??:D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gear is more expensive here - last years Teknic Chicane leather jacket or pants - AUS$700.

Buying from the US - AUS$210.00 :eek:

It's a joke.

New bikes - well you pay what you pay. 2nd hand? P155es me off :(

As for fuel, it fluctuates quite bit here. Cheapest during the week for Regular unleaded $1.15; 98 Octane - $1.25

I remember, when it used to be .76c....... those were the days ;)

My Shoei helmet cost me, discounted in Aus, $750. The same helmet in the US - about $250. That's the only thing you can't 'legally' purchase from overseas, due to regulations.

Otherwise, Australia is great :cheer: :cheer: