Overheated!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
My Fazer is the first water cooled bike I have owned. Only had it for a month and I have had 2 pebbles caught in the fan assembly already. I inspect the fan regularly, definitely after each wash.
It is winter here so it hasn't been getting much use and I live in the country but summer is coming.

Seems like a mod is needed but........... nothing beats checking it regularly and clearing it, cheers blokes
Rumpo

:rockon:

W

wrightme43

That right there looks like a item ripe for a aftermarket solution. I have seen it several times. I have the chin spoiler, ride on gravel alot, and have never had it happen. Maybe thats the answer??????

bleego

Reaction score
Visit site
That right there looks like a item ripe for a aftermarket solution. I have seen it several times. I have the chin spoiler, ride on gravel alot, and have never had it happen. Maybe thats the answer??????

Dunno, but its a compelling reason for me to buy one ( That and I've wanted one for a while :D )

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a design change regarding the placement of the radiator between the new '07 Fizzers with later models which is creating a lot of small rocks and pebbles to get lodged into the fan.

I have an '06 so this is something I don't have to worry about. I guess it can still happen but it would be extremely rare based on the older design.

I guess this is kind of a Service Bulletin for '07 models and up. Beware: small rocks and pebbles may get lodged inside the fan preventing it from spiinning and causing the bike to overheat.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a design change regarding the placement of the radiator between the new '07 Fizzers with later models which is creating a lot of small rocks and pebbles to get lodged into the fan.

I have an '06 so this is something I don't have to worry about. I guess it can still happen but it would be extremely rare based on the older design.

I guess this is kind of a Service Bulletin for '07 models and up. Beware: small rocks and pebbles may get lodged inside the fan preventing it from spiinning and causing the bike to overheat.
Good info, thanks. The thing that still has me perplexed is, why didn't the fuze save the fan motor on my bike? :confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sure the fan is toast? Can't you unplug it and run 12volts to it to make sure?

Cliff

squirly

Reaction score
Visit site
wow! I'll be inspecting my fan more now too, new york is always under construction. lol
Also we run engine ice helps alot!

bleego

Reaction score
Visit site
So I got my fan, and attempted to replace it. Unfortunately for me, it appears I have to tear half the bike apart just to even get to the plug for the fan. Is there some easier way I'm missing? It appears to be somewhere in the frame almost. Under the battery, past some battery box, that I can't get out without taking out the air filter case. Whoever came up with this design needs to be shot. :(

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I got my fan, and attempted to replace it. Unfortunately for me, it appears I have to tear half the bike apart just to even get to the plug for the fan. Is there some easier way I'm missing? It appears to be somewhere in the frame almost. Under the battery, past some battery box, that I can't get out without taking out the air filter case. Whoever came up with this design needs to be shot. :(
Glad you got your fan, I'm still waiting for mine and I already was grounded Labor Day weekend, and tomorrow's too full to pick up the bike tomorrow afternoon (late briefings and Dining Out at 6 :shakehead:). Saturday the Hill Riders are doing a 378-mile trip through Mirror Lake, last big ride of the year (for them) and one of the most gorgeous spots on earth; poop.

Bleego, I read thru the shop manual and it did look like you have to disassemble most of the front of the bike to replace the fan, I've decided to let the stealership do it. :(

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Bleego, to ask the simplest question.... do you care if you splice the fan wires? Would it be easier to snip the leads and connect your new fan to the old, installed pulg? Lead for lead, there should only be 3 wires involved....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bleego, to ask the simplest question.... do you care if you splice the fan wires? Would it be easier to snip the leads and connect your new fan to the old, installed pulg? Lead for lead, there should only be 3 wires involved....

Good idea! splice it! you could use some good quality connectors.

Cliff

bleego

Reaction score
Visit site

I am very close to doing just that... but I looking at the service manual, I'm not that far from just taking the airbox out, so I might as well go all the way. Unless there is some other obstacle in the way, then I might just say F-it and splice it.