Out of State Purchase

spamthefood

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know if you have to jump through any hoops when buying a bike out of state? I know California is pretty picky about emissions and that kind of thing but I don't know if they make you do anything out of the ordinary for buying out of state. Anyone with any experience in this?

Thanks

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
"California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California."

"If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new federally certified vehicle in California if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in your last state of military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence of your vehicle's previous registration and that you were a resident of the other state when you acquired the vehicle."

The way I read this is to say that you can bring a car or bike into CA so long as it has more than 7,500 miles when you buy it.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe it has to have ATLEAST 7,500 miles on it before they'll let you register it.
Also make sure if it has any mods that they're DOT approved, etc.
All the oem registration/vin stickers should be intact, DefyIntertia had the problem with the vin sticker on the frame.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if it applies to bikes or not, but on cars they have to have the right smog equipment to be registered. I bought a Saturn that was from Ohio originally but it had a placard under the hood that said it met CA smog rules.

drn

Reaction score
Visit site
I am inquiring also. The way I understand it after reading on the DMV website is this...If it has less than 7500 miles, it is considered new and must have CA emissions certification on the vehicle. If it does, you can register it in CA. Did Yamaha make the FZ6 different for CA or are all the same?

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
I am inquiring also. The way I understand it after reading on the DMV website is this...If it has less than 7500 miles, it is considered new and must have CA emissions certification on the vehicle. If it does, you can register it in CA. Did Yamaha make the FZ6 different for CA or are all the same?

I believe they did make a California version...at least my 2004 manual seems to mention that in spots.

My brother took my father's old jeep from TN to CA and ended up spending a pretty penny to get it to pass CA smog testing.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are two versions at least up to 2008 (which is what I have). I own non-CA version.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know if you have to jump through any hoops when buying a bike out of state? I know California is pretty picky about emissions and that kind of thing but I don't know if they make you do anything out of the ordinary for buying out of state. Anyone with any experience in this?

Thanks

Yes - really big hoops. Do not buy an out of state bike before talking to DMV. They just don't take kindly to you buying out of state. How's that for government control.