Our little town's Courthouse burned down today.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
our town is known for our courthouse in the center of town. it was built in 1891 and was currently under renovations. kind of a sad day in our little town of pittsboro.

anyone interested in reading, watching videos and seeing pics here's a link.
Fire severely damages Chatham County courthouse :: WRAL.com

i happened to be riding through town during it. i just knew someone was going to rear end the fazer because the smoke was so thick. can't tell you how many times i kept letting off my brake and squeezing it to create a flashing brake light.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a cool building, hate to see it go up in smoke. Was it started by the construction crew?

Also my 07 FZ has emergency flashers, the 06 does not?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
emergency flashers and flashing brake lights are not the same thing.

sorry to hear about building. history is rare in north america.

Mr.Spoofy

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw the news coverage on TV when I got home from work last night. I've driven by the courthouse a few times. Sorry to see it happen, hopefully the town and county will recover and be a better and stronger community.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
they'll definetly rebuild the courthouse. it's too much of a landmark. it's the center of pittsboro. and i know these aren't odd for some of you, but it has a traffic circle around it. never knew this, but the news was saying that our town is known as circle city because of our courthouse in the circle.

i'm not hugely distraught, but as lone said we don't have many historic buildings in NA. 1890's is pretty old for us.

oh, and it is thought that something having to do with the restoration was the cause. not only the cause but it also helped it spread. the clock tower was wrapped in plastic and that's where the fire was. the firefighters couldn't get water on it until it got hot enough to melt all the plastic away. by that point it had spread to other parts of the building. fire started about 5 and when i got home from music practice last night at 10 they were still putting water on it.

about the hazards... i do have them and thought about using them. but the way they were routing us through neighborhoods i had to make various turns and i wanted to be able to use my turn signals for other safety reasons. wasn't sure which was best so i just kept pumping the break until it was obvious that they new car behind me saw i was there. then it started all over once i got to a new road. good question though. i'm not sure i made the best choice but it's what i went with.