Original FZ6 Crash Protectors... (any pictures?)

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
The guy selling these original crash protectors finally found a picture for me and mailed it... it´s a pretty poor picture but at least now I got an idea how it looks.

I noticed that this original part (mounted on an angle) is very different from most of the other crash protectors which are mounted directly on the engine mounting bolts. I phoned the local Yamaha dealer to ask what the price for a brand new set is. At the same time the dealer told me that they have had 4-5incidents, where a usual crash protector (mounted directly on the engine mounting bolts) had broken of a piece of the aluminium frame :eek:
The extra angle on the original bolts should prevent this!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
The guy selling these original crash protectors finally found a picture for me and mailed it... it´s a pretty poor picture but at least now I got an idea how it looks.

I noticed that this original part (mounted on an angle) is very different from most of the other crash protectors which are mounted directly on the engine mounting bolts. I phoned the local Yamaha dealer to ask what the price for a brand new set is. At the same time the dealer told me that they have had 4-5incidents, where a usual crash protector (mounted directly on the engine mounting bolts) had broken of a piece of the aluminium frame :eek:
The extra angle on the original bolts should prevent this!
I wonder if it is the one that allows you to mount the Yamaha fairing without having to cut... :confused: It looks similar. I don't think there are any pics of that mounted, just the kit. Anyway, it's bound to be high quality if made by Yamaha. Although it doesn't look as sexy as an after-market one.

As an aside, I think it's the bolts that make quite a bit of difference to the damage to the frame. I have R&Gs and after a minor crash on a muddy hill, the soft bolt bent WAAAY back - but the frame & slider weren't touched (it stuck in the mud).

Demor

Reaction score
Visit site
Those are the original Yamaha crash protectors yes. I would stay away from them - i have seen numerous photos of them after a crash: they break up and damage the engine side covers underneath them. You can't have a working protector placed so far away from it's only fastening bolt as Yamaha did - the only thing it can happen with it is to break.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
here's a pic wiht them on my bike. i have crashed since and replaced them with puig ones, and yes they do break and smash into the side covers, i ve had first hand experience of this

Last edited:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I decide not to buy the original yamaha protectors then...

The seller told me that they bolt on with aluminium against aluminium and I don't like that either.