only 3 cylinders

Bruce67

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all.For some reason im only running on 3 cylinders,the bike is 2005 model and only has 4000 miles,not sure what the problem is yet,hoping just a spark plug,has anyone had similar problems or any ideas.thanks for listening.

IMO: Fire. It's gotta be fire. If not a plug then the connector or the wire. (Without researching it I am not certain if this bike has a coil for each plug or not, as many share two for one. If each cylinder has it's own individual coil that may be the culprit...though not likely)
Even if you drop a valve, the cylinder will usually fire, (although it is producing very little power).
Whatever it is, good luck. (I'm betting that it's nothing major though. This engine seems to be pretty much bullet-proof)

There's 2 coils, one for two cylinders.

I concur with the above, change the spark plug, check the wire, wire ends, perhaps a compression test while the plug is out. Look for any arcing/carbon buildup.

You can also hook up the offending plug, GROUND it to the head (not installed) and crank the bike. It should light up. If it does, you have problems elsewhere..

Good luck..

Thank you all for helping,gonna look at it on Thursday,hoping it is just the plug,never had any engine problems with any of my bikes at such low mileage (mainly Hondas).thanks again.

Last edited:
if u find it isn't a missing spark issue, you likely may have a fuel issue. If the bike has sat over a month, I'd consider a clogged jet,or trash in the cool cylinder carb. This BS ethanol gas, is a big mistake, causing nothing but problems in every area it is supposed to address ! It can develop water/sediment problems if left to sit in an unused tank,even short periods, depending on conditions. Thanx , EPAsshat !

Thanks compmoto,the bike has been siting in a garage for 2 years i believe, only being turned over now and then.my gut feeling has been an injector,lets hope not.

Not mentioning the bike sat for so long, I would dump ALL THE FUEL in the tank and put in fresh fuel.

As you state, an injector could very well be clogged. Cheveron techtron and Seafoam might be worth a try.

There are companies that will clean your injectors for 1/4 of the price of a new one...

I'd check the spark first but still dump that fuel. I use a product called "Gas Shok". Found it in the marina, it stops the effects of ethonol and preserves the fuel. Much better, (IMHO) than Stabil...

Back