One blinker is stadily lit

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
My left turn signal works just fine, however the right one is always lit up. After turning the key, the right turn signal is always on and the blinkers front and rear are on. What can be causing this weird problem? Can it be a relay? But why only one side?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you've got the stock lamps the front lamps have 2 filaments each. One filament is a running light (constant on) and the other filament runs off the flasher. There is the possibility that one of the filaments in the right front lamp popped and jumped over internally in the bulb so that the running light voltage is powering the flasher circuit on the the right side. Check if this is the problem and get back to us. :)

Last edited:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't really understands what you mean by filaments and where are they located...
I jumped the right headlamp (high beam one) from the left one so they'd be lit up as a low beams all the time (hate seeing only one side on..)
Yesterday I tried to install a LED indicator (4" strip from Autozone) as blinkers. The left one blinks fine, but the right stays on, now even if it is in the original setting. :Flash:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't really understands what you mean by filaments and where are they located...
I jumped the right headlamp (high beam one) from the left one so they'd be lit up as a low beams all the time (hate seeing only one side on..)
Yesterday I tried to install a LED indicator (4" strip from Autozone) as blinkers. The left one blinks fine, but the right stays on, now even if it is in the original setting. :Flash:

The headlamp jumper is a separate circuit and I'll talk about it later.

Any of the circuits, whether running light or directional signal, use the black wire for ground.

First establish that your right side LED is wired to the dark green wire for directional signal and black wire for ground. If your right side LED is wired to the blue with red tracer wire it will be wired to the running light circuit and that would be on all the time when the ignition switch is turned to on.

Where are the LEDs wired? Front or Rear? Do you still have the standard or stock front directional/running lights?

Here is some previous info Iv'e already done in another thread that will be helpful:
In the front of the bike the indicators originally had running light and directional filament in the same bulb. If it's LED there is only one filament and the blue/blue with red tracer wire are no longer used. Below are the color codes to run your indicators. There is also a good chance a fuse is blown. Get you wires sorted properly and then if you have no running light or directionals the fuse will probably be blown because a wire was shorted. Make sure the blue with red tracer or any wire that is not being used is taped off and insulated from shorting again. :)

When you turn the key on you should have a tail light filament lit. If not it's a good chance the fuse is blown. That same fuse powers the running/tail lights and the flashers. The 4 way flasher is the same circuit...

Left front turn signal with running light. That's two filament per bulb in the front.
Chocolate colored wire= turn signal filament.
Blue with a red tracer colored wire= running light filament.
Black wire= Ground or negative.

Right front turn signal with running light.
Dark green colored wire= turn signal filament.
Blue colored wire= running light filament.

Left rear turn signal.
Chocolate colored wire= turn signal filament.

Right rear turn signal.
Dark green colored wire= turn signal filament.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Yey, it worked!! I disconnected the blue wire and it started to blink. I don't know how it worked before. The previous owned changed the directional lights and did the connections.
Thanks Moto! you're da Guru here :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yey, it worked!! I disconnected the blue wire and it started to blink. I don't know how it worked before. The previous owned changed the directional lights and did the connections.
Thanks Moto! you're da Guru here :)

Thank you for the compliment but everyone here contributes to the collective knowledge and experience and in so many cases the person asking the question is instrumental in any of us seeking knowledge. :)

Getting to your headlamp cross over wire. The H4 headlight on the right side is a dual filament bulb You can have 2 light filaments in one glass envelope. So you will have the low beam and a high beam lamp filament in one bulb. Since the right headlamp is a higher wattage halogen they create a lot of heat. So much so that if you get a fingerprint on the glass, the oils in your skin turn to carbon film on the glass, preventing it from getting rid of the high heat it produces. This will shorten the life of the lamp. Similarly, if you use both filaments of the lamp at the same time, the life of the lamp will be greatly shortened and can actually cause damage to the socket because of the great amount of heat. Because of this, H4 dual filament lamps are wired to use only one filament at a time. On the FZ6 and a few other bikes, that right lamp was designed to only use the high beam. I guess it was cheaper to just use the H4 lamp to reduce costs in another area of design and manufacturing. The reflector on that side is not as efficient for low beam but lighting the low beam filament still gives more light and adds visibility to oncoming traffic.

You might contact bd43 to get a wire kit that will give you proper switching for the H4 lamp. If you use the high beam as you have it wires now you will overheat that lamp. :)

[MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION]

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info Moto, but I almost never use the high beams since I have LED's which emits much better white/bright light. I just like the symmetry. I understand when a bike has just one headlight, but if it has on both sides, doesn't look good when only one is working...