Okay, it doesn't seem like an Axe-murderer anymore...

troutfishinemt

Reaction score
Visit site
... But I've got a few questions.

I hear a clicking noise when riding about, in the 3-6k range, like valves "pinging" on a car run on too low octane.

The stock exhaust isn't exactly scary in any range, but coupled with the "ping" sound, it's awful. Any ideas why this is happening?

The other question was regarding the chain - I don't believe the dealer oiled it up correctly - it looks as dry as a popcorn fart.

Can I get Lube101 tips, or should I search? :eek:

Finally, I've driven manual transmission cars for over 20 years, and I rode dirt bikes almost as long ago - why does shifting my bike seem like an exercise in KLUNKometry every time I shift - it is NEVER smooth... again, been off a bike for a long time, but man, up and down, the shifts seem, well, klunky.

1-2 especially are rough - (I'm talking about shifting around 6-9k).

:squid:

Anyone?

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
i would advise dupont teflon drylube for the chain,,,,there are other nice and clean products just like this one too...

the ticking around 3-4-5 rpm range seems to be a characteristic of the engine as many of us including me experience it.....it stops over 5k rpm so im trying to not to pay attention to that anymore...

the clunk is another characteristic of the 03 r6 engine that we use...although if you keep the idle up on the high side of the limit it get a little bit better,,,but still there,,,,in time you might find better ways to keep it low but it will always be there :)

good luck! ;)

troutfishinemt

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, mang - I was really wondering about the "Klunk" more than anything - I love the bike, and as I said, it's been a good while since I rode (dirt bikes) - but I don't remember shifts being this "klunky", ever...

Does anyone "gear-brake" coming up on a red light, or should I just pull in the clutch and coast?

Asking that because when I use the gearbox to slow down, I notice cars seem to ride up more on my ass, even though I grab the hand brake and tap the rear brake to let them know I'm coming to a stop...

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
For better or worse I think the clunk is normal. Remember, you're dealing with a bike that puts down nearly a hundred HP. The tranny has to be a little more beefy to handle that power. My 125 hp Suzuki clunked too, on the rare occasions when I tried to ride it too gently. My 45 hp Suzuki doesn't ever clunk.

One good thing is that over time the low speed clunk will ease off - but only a little. The other good thing is that this bike shifts better the harder it is ridden. You can try that on the LEOs when you get your first ticket :eek:

As an experiment, rev it a little harder - say at least 8000 RPM before shifting and try to shift a lot faster than usual. If you're like me you'll probably find the clunk is gone.

PS: Make sure you're in a safe place to try this since you'll hit supra-legal speeds in an awful hurry on the FZ.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually find the transmission on this bike to be quite smooth other than between 1 and 2, which is somewhat klunky (although effective).

Compared to previous bikes I've ridden it's much better. In fact, I'd say that it's above average. Trannys on other bikes won't go into neutral, have false neutrals everywhere, or won't downshift more than one gear when coming to a stop without feathering the clutch. No such issues with the FZ6.

A few thousand miles and I'll switch to synthetic. That made a HUGE difference on other bikes I've owned.

As for the lube, I like DuPont's dry teflon stuff (from Lowes - smells like coconut) or Bel Ray Super Clean (dries white). I lube the chain every 300-400 miles or when it gets wet. I'm pretty obsessed (maybe I just like the coconut smell), but it's soooo easy to do on the FZ6 thanks to the centerstand.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like our tranny. Yeah there is a klunk between 1 & 2 but the other gears are butter. I typically don't use the clutch on up shifts once I'm into 2nd. Just preload the shifter a bit and when you bump it up just barely back off the throttle at the same time, and twist back to where you were, just a slight blip. Goes right in, no fuss, no muss.

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Ditto on the klunky tranny and the ticking and the teflon spray here.

What I want to know, is how do I make that whine in 4th louder? Dunno why but I think its cool. Sounds kind of like the car from MIB.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto on the klunky tranny and the ticking and the teflon spray here.

What I want to know, is how do I make that whine in 4th louder? Dunno why but I think its cool. Sounds kind of like the car from MIB.

Drain your oil and ride it. Not too sure how long it will hold up like that though....

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Hellgate on this one. I actually LIKE the thunk between 1 and 2. And, unlike most FZ6 owners, I like the thunk and lurch that occurs when you kick it from neutral down into first. I don't know why...it's just satisfying to me for some reason.

I've been really intrigued by the clutchless upshifting thing after "accidentally" doing it without thinking about it a few weeks ago. I haven't quite perfected it on every shift, although I'm close. After you get over that initial fear that you're going to rip your transmission apart and realize that it's not hurting a thing, it makes riding a breeze.

+1 on the thunking sound easing when you rev higher before shifting. You have to remember, this bike LIKES those higher rpm's and is designed to use them.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Hellgate on this one. I actually LIKE the thunk between 1 and 2. And, unlike most FZ6 owners, I like the thunk and lurch that occurs when you kick it from neutral down into first. I don't know why...it's just satisfying to me for some reason.

I've been really intrigued by the clutchless upshifting thing after "accidentally" doing it without thinking about it a few weeks ago. I haven't quite perfected it on every shift, although I'm close. After you get over that initial fear that you're going to rip your transmission apart and realize that it's not hurting a thing, it makes riding a breeze.

+1 on the thunking sound easing when you rev higher before shifting. You have to remember, this bike LIKES those higher rpm's and is designed to use them.

I've decided on a vocabulary adjustment. Instead of saying "my transmission clunks" I've decided to say "my transmission gives me reassuring audible feedback when shifting." Problem solved. Let's ride! :Sport:

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I find if I downshift into first below 10 mph the “klunk” is much less pronounced. What I find as a pain is not being able to downshift while I’m stopped.:mad:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I find that the "pinging" (almost like a slight popcorn sound) occurs upon subjecting the motor to too much load/gas during low RPM's in---I think---only the lower gears. For example, say, you're in 2nd, or 3rd in 3K-4K RPM or so range and you throttle too much the pinging sound occurs. But, if one refrains from giving the motor too much fuel in this range it will not ping. To avoid the pinging this doesn't mean you can't throttle in these low RPM ranges but rather realize there's a threshold where too much throttle results in pinging. In another term,"lugging," the motor. This doesn't mean that you can't/shouldn't low RPM cruise but---at least in the lower gears---ease off on giving too much fuel if the pinging sounds comes. I g-u-e-s-s this sound is premature detonation...or is it? I may be wrong about citing the correct language in describing the condition but at least I know how to avoid the pinging. I also believe that it is better to stay away from making the motor do it. It's the motor saying "Yuck, you're lugging me."

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find that the "pinging" (almost like a slight popcorn sound) occurs upon subjecting the motor to too much load/gas during low RPM's in---I think---only the lower gears. For example, say, you're in 2nd, or 3rd in 3K-4K RPM or so range and you throttle too much the pinging sound occurs. But, if one refrains from giving the motor too much fuel in this range it will not ping. To avoid the pinging this doesn't mean you can't throttle in these low RPM ranges but rather realize there's a threshold where too much throttle results in pinging. In another term,"lugging," the motor. This doesn't mean that you can't/shouldn't low RPM cruise but---at least in the lower gears---ease off on giving too much fuel if the pinging sounds comes. I g-u-e-s-s this sound is premature detonation...or is it? I may be wrong about citing the correct language in describing the condition but at least I know how to avoid the pinging. I also believe that it is better to stay away from making the motor do it. It's the motor saying "Yuck, you're lugging me."

I think Tailgate just nailed it. If it pings use less throtle or downshift.

I just tried the Dupont Dry Lube from Lowes and love it. The liquid wrench chain lube from Advance Auto sucks. Dupont no drips, the other drips oil all over and slings it on your tire.

Lewis