oil issue

benny66

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys. just bought a 04 fz6 back in may and have put about 1000 miles on it so far. going down the road today my oil light came on so i check and was so low it was almost off the dip stick. are there any common problems this could be? anything worth fixing or should i just get used to adding oil?

the bike had a fresh oil change when i bought it.

thanks for any help.

Last edited:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It had fresh oil when you bought it? Was the level correct as well? Is it blowing blue smoke, because that's quite a bit of oil for just 1000 miles...

Richard

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
hey guys. just bought a 04 fz6 back in may and have put about 1000 miles on it so far. going down the road today my oil light came on so i check and was so low it was almost off the dip stick. are there any common problems this could be? anything worth fixing or should i just get used to adding oil?

the bike had a fresh oil change when i bought it.

thanks for any help.

I'm assuming a private party purchase, with no warranty.....

Obviously, 1,000 miles is far too short a time to consume 2.5 liters of engine oil. I's either leaking out (which you should see), or going out the exhaust pipe. (It's possible that it's going into the coolant, but I think that unlikely.) The catalytic converter may be burning off the oil so you don't see it in the exhaust gasses....

Open the air box and see if the inside of the box is coated in oil. (PCV valve may be a problem)
Pull the plugs and take a look. (rings or valve seals may be a problem)
Check around the underside of the bike for any major build ups of oil on the underside of the frame. (a leaky seal, drain plug issue, vent line pumping out the oil.)

Once you've done the simplest visual types of inspection, it may be time to do a compression check.

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
I second checking to be sure the bike is flat and on the center stand... I check my oil and forgot to put it on the center stand and it showed low then I remembered to put it on the center stand and it showed full.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the PO didn't fill the engine fully or correctly checked it, I'd start with replacing it with new oil and filter, filled to the TOP of the dipstick. You don't know what oil/weight was put in there...

Energy conserving oil is a big No NO..

I personally prefer semi synthetic Motul 10w40.

Run it and keep an eye on it. If its still loosing oil, I agree with RJ2112's asessment.

"Seafoam" run thru the fuel system wouldn't hurt either cleaning up the combustion chamber/rings if their not too bad.

BTW, the oil light is not an oil pressure switch but a low oil light.

Last edited: