Oil Filters in Canada

microstress

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm curious what kind of oil filters the Canadian FZ6 owners are using and where they get them. I've read the oil filter thread and seen the list that fits, but our access to them is more limited since we don't have autozone/pepboys and our Walmart does not carry supertech. I've owned my 06 FZ6 for about a month only and I'm in Vancouver. So, if anyone can steer me into the direction for the best value oil filter or other stuff for our bike locally I'd greatly appreciate it. The only choice I've found is OEM from dealerships or FRAM at Canadian Tire which I've heard is not the best choice.

:thumbup:
Thanks

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
K&N all the way, has special bolt on top so you can use regular wrench.
Part number is KN-204, I buy it at local shop but Canadian Tire can also get it for you - just go to parts counter and they will order it.
41i5vRn8r5L._SS500_.jpg

Or check K&N website for a dealer near you.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
agreed on the KN-204, nut on the end makes it a winner (good filter too)
I buy mine at the local Suzuki dealer, fits some of their bikes too, if the
Yamaha dealer doesn't have, try other dealers including ATV shops, some
one in your area sells it I'd bet

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
I just go to the "local" dealer and grab a yamaha filter. Not a big fan of aftermarket filters for some reason... I suspect they cost more, but I don't use that many. It gives me some peace of mind knowing that thier reputation is hanging on it.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Cost is about the same - KN-204 cost me about CAD15.
And I trust K&N more - have a lot of friends who used them for years in their cars and bikes (all kinds of bikes - from crazy expensive Ducs to 20 years old UJMs). Can't find the link but there was a good write up comparing oil filters.
I remember one conclusion- Fram equals crap :) and winner was Purolator.
I still like K&N over Purolator because of the nut on top - small things make all the difference.

microstress

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys, I know that I want to go with K & N oil filter. However, I am not sure which one to go with. I checked the K & N website, apparently they recommend KN-303 for 04-06 FZ6 and KN-204 for 07-onward FZ6. Then, I checked the difference between them lies in the PSI relief valve. For 204 the PSI relief valve is 14.5, but for 303 the PSI relief valve is 18.1. Then, I checked the service manual for specs on the oil filter and it says bypass valve opening pressure is 11.6 - 17.4 PSI. Can any of you guys give me some insight on this? :confused:

Fastwagon

Reaction score
Visit site
I live 30 minutes from the border, so I just drove across and picked up every purolator one I could find (still only 5 in total).

sucks we don't get the same variety here, and those who do bring them in are selling them for 3X as much...

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys, I know that I want to go with K & N oil filter. However, I am not sure which one to go with. I checked the K & N website, apparently they recommend KN-303 for 04-06 FZ6 and KN-204 for 07-onward FZ6. Then, I checked the difference between them lies in the PSI relief valve. For 204 the PSI relief valve is 14.5, but for 303 the PSI relief valve is 18.1. Then, I checked the service manual for specs on the oil filter and it says bypass valve opening pressure is 11.6 - 17.4 PSI. Can any of you guys give me some insight on this? :confused:

Wow man - that is proper technical question. I would call K&N and ask.

microstress

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow man - that is proper technical question. I would call K&N and ask.

Do you have the 07 service manual? What does it say for bypass valve pressure opening psi?

This technical issue is the only thing preventing me from going with K & N or HiFlo. But, I guess I'll send them an email now and post the reply up if you are interested.

Last edited:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
the 07 service manual states bypass valve opening pressure of 11.6-17.4 PSI,
this spec however is listed with the oil pump data, not with the filter, there
is nothing in the filter specs to help identify a replacement, I have a feeling
they are referring to the filter bypass with that spec however, and that would
put the KN-204 right in the middle of the range according to the specs you
found from K&N