Oil filter help

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
I understand from searching that the "oil" topic in general has been beaten to death, I searched but couldn't find anything relating to my issue. I own a 2006 FZ6 and tomorrow will do my first oil change (600 mile change done by dealer), only 4,000 miles on it at the moment. According to the yamaha parts section it states to use 5GH-13440-10-00, I went to the dealer and they only had 5GH-13440-00-00, and said it would be ok. I tried searching what is the difference between the 00 and the 10 but no luck, if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
That was one of the search results I went through and read the whole thread but it doesn't answer my question.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That was one of the search results I went through and read the whole thread but it doesn't answer my question.

No, it does not answer your question specifically. It does list many filters which will work. Are you dead-set on getting one from your dealer (a filter which may not work)?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
DMP-
If you read all the oil threads looking for a filter you are in for a long tedius read.

Essentially if you go with a motorcycle filter you will pay more than double that of a car filter. Many of us on this board use the best quality car filters out there with no issues whatsoever. And if you are concerned with the filter getting stuck on there, invest in the K&N filter with the built in nut.

For me personally, I have been using the Bosch premium (made by champion same producer as the mobil 1 filters). I also picked up a couple of the Walmart Super Tech 7317 filters. Many people swear by them along with Rotella T6 full synthetic oil.

Good luck with your choice

rchamberlain

Reaction score
www.rogerchamberlain.com
I cannot answer your question about the difference between those filters. If your dealer stocks it and recommended it, then I'm sure it will be fine.

What I can tell you is I made myself CRAZY trying to read all of the oil threads and oil filter threads. After driving myself nuts, I finally settled on a filter/oil combo and I have stuck with it. It is a combination that I see many people using from reading the threads. My bike runs great and yours will too. :thumbup: I have found that everyone here wants to help you but there are just so many correct choices with oil and filters and so many opinions on what people like that I was easily confused. So many of these products are like choosing between right and right. Not between right and wrong. Good luck and I hope my experience helps.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
K&N with the welded nut. No headaches when later removing.

Agree that the K&N is a great way to go as it eliminates the too often problem of a filter that is 'stuck' on too tight, but it seems many people here are focused on the lowest price and the K&N is several times more expensive than the cheapie filters at Walmart and other places. It's worth it to me but if price is your most important goal forget the K&N.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I go for the purolator filters so I can draw smiley faces on them :)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using the Yamaha filters and I have one more left to use, then I have a Fram to use.....maybe, (though I have read many bad reviews about it), and then I am going to switch to the WalMart SuperTech ST7317. It's like a couple of bucks and from what I read about it in the reviews, it seems to be as good as anything out there! (I'd rather stay with Yamaha filters but at over $14 bucks a pop verses $2 bucks or so for an equal quality filter....why?) As nasty as my first oil change was at 600 miles I wonder how good the Yamaha filters really are? JMO You will have to decide for yourself. Good luck!

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, here. I had to find my boxes. As others have said:
**Disclaimer - Use any of these filters at your own risk!**
With that said and legal satisfied, the part numbers on my current stash of filters are:
Fram: PH6017A
Super Tech: ST7317
Yamaha: 5GH-13440-20Y

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Just buy a half dozen Hi Flo HF 303 filters off eBay. Cost about $6 each. I used several Hi Flo oil filters and they are just fine. EOM is a rip-off.

hoston1765

Reaction score
Visit site
Discovered something about Yamaha filters last month by cutting the 600 and 4000 mile oil change filters apart. Used a chisel to minimize grindings and opened the very heavy steel cans. The filter media is a thick material like felt material, not pleated paper and very well built. The felt pleats trapped metal particles through the entire thickness. It seems the thickness on one pass by the oil gives the effect of multiple passes in a pleated paper element. A close up of the pleats shows many small metallic bits that could only have come from the engine/gearbox break-in. The end cap was more thick felt-like material and putting a magnet on it pulled off many visible bits of metal. The construction is super heavy duty, much heavier than the “Brand F” filter with paper pleats I purchased before the chisel job but have not used because I was suitably impressed with the Yamaha unit.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just buy a half dozen Hi Flo HF 303 filters off eBay. Cost about $6 each. I used several Hi Flo oil filters and they are just fine. EOM is a rip-off.

When buying an oil filter for my KLR 250 (its NOT A SPIN ON) we (at the shop) compared the pleates of a K&N and a Hi Flo side by side.

There were visably considerably more pleates (surface area) on the K&N than the Hi Flo. Other than that they looked the same.

For me, I'd rather pay a little more for MORE PROTECTION, but that's my opinion... Its cheaper to replace an more expensive oil filter than a top end.