Oil drain plug crush washers - tired of getting screwed by your local Yamaha stealership?

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Try these - available at most auto parts stores in the US.

Manufacturer: Dorman, Dorman Products
Brand: Oil-Tite
Part #: 65310
Package Contents: 3 Crush Washers, 1/2" or M14
PRICE: $3

They work perfectly, as I used one when I changed my oil today.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try these - available at most auto parts stores in the US.

Manufacturer: Dorman, Dorman Products
Brand: Oil-Tite
Part #: 65310
Package Contents: 3 Crush Washers, 1/2" or M14
PRICE: $3

They work perfectly, as I used one when I changed my oil today.

Will be buying these tomorrow, as I need to do an oil change before I lay the bike up for the winter...

I switched my drain plug to a magnetic version, and the place I bought it from sells the crush washers for $0.35 if you're looking for super cheap. I bought a set of extra washers when I got the plug and they work great too.

Motorcycle Magnetic Drain Plugs MP-02

Just bought one of these, thanks for the link! :thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Honda car dealerships sell them for $.20 each. Work perfectly on the FZ.

But, doesn't one have to walk through the new car lot in order to find the parts counter? And, then, you risk getting talked into purchasing a $30,000.00 2011 Honda Accord Hybriid. So, actual price: $29, 999.80 (+ tax and license).

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a copper drain plug washer and re-use it indefinitly.....

After you loosen/tighten copper a couple times, it will leak, too...

Ideally, it would be nice to have a drain plug with a rubber sealing surface underneath the flange head. I bet if I look closely, I can find one in the Dorman catalog that will match the length/size/thread pitch of the stock plug on the FZ6.

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
I am still using the stock washer and after close to 30,000 miles and numerous oil changes it's never leaked a drop. But good to know what my options are should that change.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After you loosen/tighten copper a couple times, it will leak, too...

Ideally, it would be nice to have a drain plug with a rubber sealing surface underneath the flange head. I bet if I look closely, I can find one in the Dorman catalog that will match the length/size/thread pitch of the stock plug on the FZ6.

Mine hasn't leaked in my FJR, FZ or KLR. (40,000 miles total between them). In the 70's and 80's we reheated copper head gaskets and quenched in water for re-use in the 125/250 racing 2 strokes, YZ's...

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
honestly.. i have the same washer thats been there and have 17,5k on the bike.. i have a new washer, but couldnt get the old one off ever.. i should probably buy a new plug, but no leaks or any problems..

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
As others have said, there is really no need to change the washer unless it is leaking. In all the bikes I've had I've never changed the washer and have never had any leaks. But if changing it every time makes you feel better, go ahead and do it. It won't hurt to change it, it's just not needed.

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
Eh, I've seen it either way... sometimes reusing the washer causes a leak, sometimes not. So, I just change the damn washer to avoid any problems down the road.