Ohlin's quote for steering damper

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got this e-mail after I asked about pricing and thought I would share it with you all to include the mounting instructions.

""Hello Bradley. Thank you for your email. The Öhlins steering damper for a 2005 Yamaha FZ6 is part number ‘SD 178’. The suggested retail price is $636.69. These are in stock here. I have attached the mounting instructions for you.

Please have your local motorcycle dealer call us to order at (828)692-4525. Thank you, Jerry""

My first thought was"":eek:wtf?"". Sorry but that's a bit too spendy for me but I would love to have it. Seriously, how can something like that be sooooo expensive considering it is "basically" a shock? Oh well:shakehead: Again, just wanted to share that with you all:Flash:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got this e-mail after I asked about pricing and thought I would share it with you all to include the mounting instructions.

""Hello Bradley. Thank you for your email. The Öhlins steering damper for a 2005 Yamaha FZ6 is part number ‘SD 178’. The suggested retail price is $636.69. These are in stock here. I have attached the mounting instructions for you.

Please have your local motorcycle dealer call us to order at (828)692-4525. Thank you, Jerry""

My first thought was"":eek:wtf?"". Sorry but that's a bit too spendy for me but I would love to have it. Seriously, how can something like that be sooooo expensive considering it is "basically" a shock? Oh well:shakehead: Again, just wanted to share that with you all:Flash:

I'm very surprised at the cost of steering dampers too. I think that is the money maker for the shock guys.

In the '80s you could get a three click damper that had a basic mounting bracket between the frame and the fork, and the whole thing was about $100. Granted the new dampers a much nicer with fancy pantsed colors and big letters on them, but $640, WOW!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That is really steep for a mod, do you really need one and if so why? Head shaking is not something that appears to be synonymous with the FZ6?

Nelly

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
That is really steep for a mod, do you really need one and if so why? Head shaking is not something that appears to be synonymous with the FZ6?

Nelly

I do get some head shaking when I let off the throttle and coast with my hands off the bars around 50-60mph. Any ideas?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't hestitate to jettison that mod idea. Ohlin needs to get a grip. Thiese are cocaine/NASA prices. I guess if you need to shave off 2/100th second off your time or something it's a bargain. Why not invest $1.99 for a can of Rockstar instead?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:don'tknow:
I do get some head shaking when I let off the throttle and coast with my hands off the bars around 50-60mph. Any ideas?
Sorry mate, I can't help you I don't have the same problem when I do the same at 50-60mph:don'tknow::eek::confused:

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't hestitate to jettison that mod idea. Ohlin needs to get a grip. Thiese are cocaine/NASA prices. I guess if you need to shave off 2/100th second off your time or something it's a bargain. Why not invest $1.99 for a can of Rockstar instead?
Whats Rockstar mate (PS2 Game maker)? $1.99 suspension mod job done, I'll have some of that.

Nelly

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rockstar Energy Drink

My guess...

If head shake is happening, I would think mechanical issues first, I don't think the FZ6 really needs a Steering Damper(IMO)...

Last edited:

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think what I will do when I get time is do a "shake down" on the front end and see what I come up with. I'm wondering if it's bearings since it seems pretty common but at 11,500? :confused:

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd suspect something with the front tire / wheel. Check to see if the rim is true. Make sure tire is in good condition, properly balanced and inflated.

I had this problem on a Honda Nighthawk 650, and it turned out the rim was out of round.

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that you guys mention it, and that I think about it, the front tire is the original since I got the bike with 1,000 miles and now it has about 11,500. I already planned on gettin a new set of rubber so when I do I will see if that takes care of it and get back to guys sometime in the future. Thanks for all the suggestions!:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that you guys mention it, and that I think about it, the front tire is the original since I got the bike with 1,000 miles and now it has about 11,500. I already planned on gettin a new set of rubber so when I do I will see if that takes care of it and get back to guys sometime in the future. Thanks for all the suggestions!:thumbup:
Mate I reckon with the money Avalon has saved you. You should front him a set of tires to. You will still have about $150.00 in your wallet savings lol.

Nelly

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Mate I reckon with the money Avalon has saved you. You should front him a set of tires to. You will still have about $150.00 in your wallet savings lol.

Nelly

lool I could use a front pretty soon, haha. Glad to be of help ;)
Also it is expensive for the FZ6 but a few buddies looked into it and for their bikes (R6S, R6...) its still like $500 for a steering damper, those suckers are expensive!!!

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you very much for the help guys! I got my front tire changed today and guess what... it fixed my trouble! I forgot what a good front tire feels like! Avalon I thank you very much and if we ever meet I owe ya some brewskies! Thanks again everyone!:thumbup::rockon:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I payed 300 or so for my W.E.R. stabilizer for my Kx 250. It was the best money I ever spent. For off road use it is amazing.

I wouldnt mind getting one for the road, but I havent found myself in a senerio where I need it. I imagine though it would nice to have if something in the road surprised you.

Take a look into Scotts, or GPR stabiliers. They mount in middle of the handle bars for dirtbikes. Only thing with them is that you have to weld a bung on the frame to attach to. The W.E.R recquires drilling in the frame and four bolts to mount to where the front fender mounts on the lower triple tree.

Google Image Result for http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/ProdImages/MVBDamp1_lg.jpg

This shows that you can mount a bracket on the fuel tank mounts. Might be easy to fab up something for the FZ.

-bryan