NYC Area Checkpoints & Solutions

NYMSTF Brad

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I'm a little new here, first an introduction... I'm Brad from the NYMSTF, a non-profit organization in NYC whose purpose is to advocate for motorcycle and scooter use in and around New York. I landed here when someone showed me this thread about the crazy things the NYPD is doing in their motorcycle -only checkpoints now.

Given the quota systems in place, I am a firm believer that there is pretty much no such thing as a positive encounter with law enforcement, particularly here. With these motorcycle -only checkpoints at best your Fourth Amendment rights are being violated and your time is wasted. At the worst, any little oversight on your part however minor and harmless becomes an enormous liability. So I created the NYMSTF's free Checkpoint Alert System, which allows people in the NY area to immediately share information about motorcycle -only checkpoints using cellphone text messaging.

If you ever ride in New York and particularly in New York City I suggest you learn about the Checkpoint Alert System, subscribe to it, save the NYMSTF phone number in your phone and remember to contribute an alert if and when you see a motorcycle -only checkpoint or enforcement detail. Don't be bashful about it. If you get stopped at a checkpoint, send an alert while the cops have your paperwork!

If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them here or by email. I can be reached directly at brad dot berson at nymstf dot org.

Ride safe,
NYMSTF Brad