NSW riders - take off your rego stickers!

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
The laws in NSW (Australia) have changed: as of Jan 01 2013 light vehicles no longer need to display registration stickers. I'm going to take mine off as soon as I get home tonight!

This also applies to cars.

No more rego stickers for light vehicles < Registration < www.rta.nsw.gov.au

"From 1 January 2013, registration stickers will no longer be required for light vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM). NSW Police use number plate recognition cameras to automatically detect if a vehicle is unregistered.

This means from 1 January 2013, registration stickers can be removed from all light vehicles registered in NSW. While it is not an offence to keep displaying your registration sticker, it is no longer required.

New stickers are no longer being generated and will not be sent with registration renewal notices. Removing labels for light vehicles simplifies the registration process, reduces red tape and will save time and money for the community and businesses."

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
About bloody time! And I thought Western Australia was slow - we've had it for @ 3 years now. Great not to have those round discs on our bikes anymore :)

Ant1

Reaction score
Visit site
as of Jan 01 2013 light vehicles no longer need to display registration stickers. I'm going to take mine off as soon as I get home tonight!

Gone... on both bikes!
Thx Daniel... didnt even know it came into effect :thumbup:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Changed here to about a year ago.
Just be careful if you go to Victoria, they have been booking people for not displaying rego stickers even though its legal.

Ant1

Reaction score
Visit site
From the RTA website..

Have other states abolished registration stickers?
Registration stickers for light vehicles have now been abolished in Western Australia (from 1 January 2010), South Australia (from 1 July 2011) and Tasmania (from 1 September 2012).

What will happen if I am travelling interstate?
Interstate jurisdictions still using stickers will be made aware of the changes in NSW. Both the Western Australian and South Australian Governments advise that people registered in those States are able to lawfully drive without a registration sticker in other States and Territories. The same arrangements will be put in place for NSW vehicles travelling interstate.