Norton Plans 210HP Rotary by 2011

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Norton-Racing-wankel-rotary-motor.jpg

We were disappointed last summer when the Norton NRV588 didn’t take a lap at speed around the Isle of Man circuit during the TT, but that didn’t stop the British racing team from clocking 178mph on the salt flats. It looks like Norton Racing has taken the data they’ve learned from the NRV588 and plan to refine the machine into a 700cc race-spec motorcycle that’s an evolution of the current 588cc pocket rocket. Altough Norton plays it coy on their website, rumor has it that they’re reportedly eying the British Superbike series and maybe even a World Superbike comeback within the next three years.

We’re not sure how the Wankel motor will pass the regulations for either series, but that’s not really our problem. With both BSB and WSBK being production-based racing leagues, the big takeaway from this announcement will be the virtual guarantee of some sort of high-powered Norton rotary available to the general public. With 210HP being the magic number Norton hopes to go racing with, there can be little doubt that a street version would be a potent stead. For those that don’t remember, the NRV588 weighs only a paltry 286lbs dry.

We’re expecting to see the latest Norton rotary within a year’s time, but don’t expect the bike to hit racing circuits any time soon. Early indications put that roadmap milestone at a few years away.

For ref, here is the NRV588

Norton%20NRV%20588.jpg

Last edited:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
Mazda somehow campaigns rotary engines in the various auto classes, so I am thinking they might be able to find a way to meet the regulations. The low weight and less moving parts concept might be good for a bike, but fuel economy, emissions, durability have been concerns of the generic rotary design in the past, so it will be interesting to see how they address these issues.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I hadn't even heard about the 588. 170hp and 80lb of torque out of 588cc? And it only weighs 290lb (dry - but still...)??? Holy moly. Can't wait to see what the 700cc looks like.

Found this clip of the 588 being tested on the dyno. Check out how the header is glowing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P_JkddDw90]YouTube - Norton NRV588 Tracktest at Donington and Dynometer for Isle of Man TT[/ame]

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
A peripheral port rotary at 210hp out of 700cc.... I'd love to know what they plan on doing different. A 1300cc NA PP rotary getting over 300hp is pretty good.

Definitely interested as I love rotaries!

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to see this come to the public market. I love the sound of these rotary engines. i would love to see the performance of one of these on a track. If set up right, it would be able to corner really really well for the center of gravity would be really low. Having the pistons right around the crank will take a lot of 'forward/back' motion out of the engine too. really excited to see this concept in a bike.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
If they get the engine to be durable ... it will rock !!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Mazda has figured it out finaly with the RX-8. I'm not very in touch with the car scene but the car does quite well.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I hadn't even heard about the 588. 170hp and 80lb of torque out of 588cc? And it only weighs 290lb (dry - but still...)??? Holy moly. Can't wait to see what the 700cc looks like.

Found this clip of the 588 being tested on the dyno. Check out how the header is glowing.

That is so wild! Is that de-cell ignition or an afterburner!?!?! :rockon:

David, you always find the coolest stuff!