Norcal (Auburn) Sunday Oct 16th

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Been talking with Taigate about a ride so here's the deal.

Meet: 9am @ Chevron gas station at the Foresthill exit off I-80 in Auburn, turn right -can't miss it. This can be moved to 8 am but the mornings are getting chilly up here in the hills.

Where to: We will ride up to Foresthill and the take Mosquito road (10 million turns per mile) to Stumpy Meadows Lake where we can go back down to Georgetown or up Wentworth Springs Rd and over to Hwy 50. We can make a group decision once we meet up.

No food after Foresthill for quite some time so we can grab a sandwich/drink in Foresthill to pack in or just stave to death :Flash:. Best to bring a pack if you can.

Be prepared for massive views, twistys and single lane (1&1/2) lane forest road. Not a goat trail yet but not a road with striping past French Meadows Rd. for 20 miles. No Gravel!

It will take about 5 hours to ride from Auburn back to Auburn

Auburn, CA to Auburn, CA - Google Maps

Post up any questions and I'll get back with answers.

Who's in?

Tailgate (Stacy)
Redwazp (Doug)
Turbo (+1 perhaps)
Driftboat

Last edited:

turbo311

Icanhazkustumyoozertitle?
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in, but I might be 2up and taking the turns slow, which I should anyway since I've never done Mosquito Ridge on my bike.

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeeessss!!! Sounds fun. I'm 60% committed, just gotta clear my schedule.

We need to have a safety brief before we roll out - last time I went did Wentworth Springs my buddy binned it pretty bad, and MRR is intense too.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in, but I might be 2up and taking the turns slow, which I should anyway since I've never done Mosquito Ridge on my bike.

Just fair warning MR is so twisty passengers have been known to get some motion sickness. May I suggest for your first ride on MR to try it solo as this is a long ride and in some places a bit bumpy, or just ride part of it before anyone wants to hurl ;) We'd like to meet you in Auburn.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeeessss!!! Sounds fun. I'm 60% committed, just gotta clear my schedule.

We need to have a safety brief before we roll out - last time I went did Wentworth Springs my buddy binned it pretty bad, and MRR is intense too.

Yes indeed, we'll talk safety before heading out.

I shy away from Wentworth Springs due to the Squid factor but though I mention it as we will be close at Stumpy Meadows. I'll be on my FZ1 where fuel consumption is a bigger factor than the 6.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm really interested in joining you guys but could you post a ride map of the route we'll be going on so I can judge on how many miles it'll be total since it will take me at least 2 hours to get to and from the starting point?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm really interested in joining you guys but could you post a ride map of the route we'll be going on so I can judge on how many miles it'll be total since it will take me at least 2 hours to get to and from the starting point?

I wish I knew how to do maps but too old to learn. Perhaps Tailgate can help.

I can tell you from Auburn back to Auburn with stops will be 4-5 hours ish. If we just head back to Georgetown ( I thinking that will be the case ) you could be back to Auburn (I-80) by 2pm so you should be home before dark thirty.

Shoey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I usually keep to myself, but this sounds like a great ride. I'll try to make it if I can. By the way, here's a route map (I think I got it right, assuming we go to Georgetown). I took MRR a few times, but never turned south to Stumpy Meadows Lake.

Norcal (Auburn) Sunday Oct 16th - Google Maps

Edit: See Tailgate's map below.

Matt

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I usually keep to myself, but this sounds like a great ride. I'll try to make it if I can. By the way, here's a route map (I think I got it right, assuming we go to Georgetown). I took MRR a few times, but never turned south to Stumpy Meadows Lake.

Norcal (Auburn) Sunday Oct 16th - Google Maps

Matt

Close Matt but your route has a really crappy section from Ralston Resv. Can you stretch the MR road/route to go by the dam of French Meadows instead? Where we come out by Stumpy Meadows Lake is correct. Longer but better road going via French Meadows Resv.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this closer to what you had in mind, Doug?

Auburn, CA to Placerville, CA - Google Maps

Or, if we decide to end up back in Auburn instead of Placerville:

Auburn, CA to Auburn, CA - Google Maps

Auburn to Auburn to Auburn is correct! The time looks close too, a 5 hour ride out of Auburn. We will stop a few times to check out the views and bike count :D

Auburn to Placerville is off a bit, we would go left at Stumpy Meadows to Union Resv. and down to 50 but I doubt we'll ride this as it's longer.

A friend of mine may join us on his Honda Ascot-cool bike.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if you are in I can sideswipe you somewhere in Sacramento area on our way to Auburn. :Flash: