noises in my head ?

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my newly purchased FZ today. This is actually the first time I have had to kinda get use to the bike.
One thing I noticed was a whine or whering noise. Because of my helmet and some wind blast I had trouble figuring exactly what the noise was.
Does the exhaust give off a strange sound that might be perceived as a whine when crusing along with a helmet on?.
What about the chain?.
By the way, bike is serviced and everything adjusted properly.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I would look at the chain first... a serviced bike doesn't guarantee that every is adjusted "properly"... did you check the chain yourself? Sounds like it's either too tight or too loose...

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
A tight chain will do this as Wavex said. BUT it depends at what speed this whine begins. Is it about 40 miles per hour? or more like 60 mph and just when you move up to 8000 rpm?

In addition this noise may very well be the air intake in the filter box under your tank.

I've had a tight chain before but my garage said that it should be like this...I didn't like it this tight but its not caused any damage to my bike that i've ever noticed. But check the chain first as wavex suggested.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2008 'Whirrs' in any gear around 6500 and up to ??. By then the wind kicks in and its hard to hear. Sure sounds like the engine/tranny/valve train to me and I assume it's normal.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, thanks.
Maybe it is just the nature of the beast.
I`ll pay closer attention when I catch a calm day

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel injection can have somewhat of a whine or clicking noise.
The engine also has a bit of a different tone depending what you are used to, much more buzzy than previous bikes I've ridden.
It also has a very quiet exhaust stock, I notice with an aftermarket exhaust the bike sounds totally different as you don't hear the engine.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you mention it. When I rode my '09 home from the dealership, I kept hearing what sounded like a child crying when I downshifted into second. It was the weirdest thing. I would hear it, look around for a quick second and the realize it was the bike again. Either it went away or I'm used to it, but I don't hear it anymore. Glad to see someone else hears the voices!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you mention it. When I rode my '09 home from the dealership, I kept hearing what sounded like a child crying when I downshifted into second. It was the weirdest thing. I would hear it, look around for a quick second and the realize it was the bike again. Either it went away or I'm used to it, but I don't hear it anymore. Glad to see someone else hears the voices!

I thought that was just me! :eek:
Thank christ I'm not going mad :D