Noise at idle

justin77

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone. I got my 08 fz6 last November new and I have almost 2k miles on it now with amsoil 10-40w. I love the bike. And i have noticed the ticking noise everyone talks about at low rpms to about 5000. From what I have found this noise is normal but my question is I also get a ticking noise at idle, and the noise is inconsistent and comes and goes. The noise may be there for 30 sec then go away and it does not seem to make a difference if the bike is cold or hot. The noise is definitely coming from the engine and is definitely there, and when it happens it is noticeable but not very loud. So my question is does anyone else have this noise, this intermittent tick at idle? I am only worried about it because it comes and goes. My last bike was a sv650 and the pipe i had on that was so loud I couldn't hear myself think and before that a gs750 that the valve train was so loud i couldn't hear the exhaust, so i don't mind noise if its normal :thumbup:

Thanks
Justin

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
You try checking the plastic radiator guard? It's pretty loose and rattles sometimes. I put some foam tape on mine to cushion it.
If you can't nail it down as to where it's comming from, you can try using a short (~2ft) piece of hose as a audio borescope to try to isolate exactly where it's comming from.

Last edited:

justin77

Reaction score
Visit site
You try checking the plastic radiator guard? It's pretty loose and rattles sometimes. I put some foam tape on mine to cushion it.
If you can't nail it down as to where it's comming from, you can try using a short (~2ft) piece of hose as a audio borescope to try to isolate exactly where it's comming from.

I know the noise you are talking about because i have that one too, but this is different. and i have also read that thread posted above twice and almost every other one that is related to this that i could find here and on other sites. Just wanted some people to say they have the same noise to make me feel better about it.

Thanks
Justin

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
its valve chatter and compleatly normal.. you have 10w40 in the bike and when i had that in, it made a ticking.. just use a little heavier of an oil like 20w40 or 10w30, thats what the manual calls for anyways. when i used 20w40, you could hear it, but not as much as when i had 10w40... if you have any concerns beyond this, bring it to the dealer and ask a service guy to listen to it. otherwise on the next oil change, try the 20w40.. good luck :thumbup:

trailmug

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the valvetrain is ticky, on my FZ6 and my R6 noticeable from idle to 5000RPM, which I would think would be particularly true on a low-mileage bike, as I understand the valve clearance is set up at the wide end of the spec to allow the gap to close up as the valves and seats wear.

trailmug

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh. And I forgot to address your concern about the intermittent nature of the noise. My bikes do that too -- the valves and lifters rotate during operation, and shrink and expand due to heating under different operation conditions.