No whine while turning the key on anymome

Kilomonster

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought me a 07 fz6s two days. Everytime I turned the key on all the electrical cluster would power up with a whine to it. Today after I took it on a 65 mile ride I stopped. Turned engine off for about twenty minutes. Then I turned key on all the electrical did it's thing but no whine. Is this whine from the fi?? If so did it stop cause it was warm??

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought me a 07 fz6s two days. Everytime I turned the key on all the electrical cluster would power up with a whine to it. Today after I took it on a 65 mile ride I stopped. Turned engine off for about twenty minutes. Then I turned key on all the electrical did it's thing but no whine. Is this whine from the fi?? If so did it stop cause it was warm??

Congratulations on the new bike!

The whine is from your fuel pump priming the fuel lines. If they don't need priming you won't hear the whine. Sometimes I hear it, sometimes I don't; it seems to be correlated with how long I've had the bike turned off, like you've observed.

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel pump will prime every time you turn the key, unrelated to being pressurized already, you just may not be able to hear it. If it doesn't, then you have the sidestand down in gear or the kill switch in the off position.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on kill switch. I've noticed when the kill switch is set to "kill" mode, when you power up the electronics do it's thing showing on the cluster but you will not hear the fuel pump prime. Since I frequently turn my bike off with the kill switch I see this happen quite a bit. nothing to worry about, congrats on getting the bike and :welcome:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the best forum on the WWW! Yes, my first guess would be the kill switch.
Congrats on the great bike!

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
Kill switch kills the fuel pump to kill the engine :)

I was shown to leave it off when not in use. Honestly, I don't think it matters either way.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine always runs the fuel pump except for when I accidentally switch the kill switch off. Did that a few weeks ago and the bike wouldn't start. Checked everything, fired up the computer and checked the forum for hints and . . . crept away in shame, flipped the kill switch and rode to work.

Been riding (almost every day) for several years but never turn the kill switch off and had forgotten about what it can do. Haven't forgotten about it though!

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
FINE-C (Fuel, Ignition, Neutral, Engine, Choke (no choke for FI engines))

Apparently you are supposed to use the engine kill switch to shut your motorcycle off, officially.