no running lights in rear

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
Strange problem I have. The turn signals and brake light work when activated but they're not on otherwise. Neither are the license plate lamps. No fuses blown, no obvious wires cut or shorted. Any ideas?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The tail light and license plate light should be on, you're correct. The signals in the rear are not running lights like they are in the front, though and should not be on without flicking the signal switch.

Inspect your wiring. Also check your parking lighting fuse.
Do the running lights up front work?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, check the bulbs themselves, the tag light usually burns out way before the tail light (I've already replaced mine).

Check both filiments in the tail bulb too, (start with the basic's).

Please post your results...:thumbup:

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
okay I feel stupid. The bulbs are burnt. I have the bike tore down with the tank off looking at the wire harness and everything. I didn't know the rear turn signals weren't supposed to be on. Just never paid attention. So I just assumed something more major was wrong. :shakehead:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
okay I feel stupid. The bulbs are burnt. I have the bike tore down with the tank off looking at the wire harness and everything. I didn't know the rear turn signals weren't supposed to be on. Just never paid attention. So I just assumed something more major was wrong. :shakehead:

Got it fixed didn't ya!

BTW, the stock Yamaha bulb is NOT a standard 1157(although it will fit and function).

The original Yamaha bulb, for one of the filments has THREE POSTS supporting the filiment, NOT TWO. Besides being a bit sturdier than a TWO POST bulb, it is brighter than an standard 1157(tried an 1157 next to the stock bulb on my old FJR-dual running/brake lights, its definitly brighter).

The last Yamaha part # (I still have a spare) is/was 1 A2-84714-41. I just checked my 07 FZ and it too, has the three post Yamaha bulb (original bulb).

Most any mechanical machine, start with the simplist check, double check your work and then move to the next likely problem..

Short story, related somewhat. My friend years ago bought a new BMW(canibus electrical system-PIA IMHO), think it was an RT. He had a fault light on the dash, but one of the tail lights didn't work(forgot which one). The computer was saying there was an issue up front. I started looking/digging at the rear of the bike (where the light didn't work). We got into a pissing match as I wasn't listening to the computer and (per him, not mechanically inclined) should have been looking up front.

Took me maybe 5 minutes to find the tail light wires pinched inbetween two frame members (from the factory-BRAND NEW) shorting out.. Loosened one of the members, moved the wire, taped up the short (he later went to BMW for a permanent fix as it was brand new) problem fixed..

I expalined to him, the computer is NOT DESIGNED to find and repair shorted wires....

Last edited: